• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New U-bolts

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I got new u-bolts for my Ford 8.8 axle. I ordered the exact radius required for the axle tube and also the necessary height to compensate for my springs and shims.

The literature from the company that I ordered from said that the bolts would distort a little as they were installed. They hug the axle tube exactly right, but you can see the issue that I have.

I really don't know how to solve this. Do I need a bigger radius bolt?

IMG_16251_zps01a6f291.jpg

Last edited:
That was my plan also, but I can't get the c-clamp to seat on the bolt because it is rounded and keeps "rolling" off.

Other ideas???

I figured I'd go with ratchet straps next. I have an e-mail into the company I bought them from.

Well, apparently they sent me the wrong u-bolts. That accounts for a lot! Getting a new set shipped out, and I'll get a refund for the others. Of course I'm now on the hook for 3 shipping charges - which makes them not as good a deal as I planned.

I stopped by the Ford dealer at lunch and they wanted $44 per u-bolt, and they couldn't even confirm radius or height. I told them that I wasn't interested in ordering if they couldn't confirm. The parts guy told me that I should just reuse my old ones. I reminded him that the u-bolts get stressed and shouldn't be used a second time. He said "guys pull them out of the junkyard to use all the time." I replied - "just because someone does something, doesn't make it right - or smart."

I'm pretty sure the 8.8 uses a 3.25" wide U-bolt. Mine were 10" long and I trimmed them to fit.

If the width of the bolts at the top is the only problem then all you have to do is hold one leg in a vice between two pieces of wood and bend the other leg in. I have done that many times and it work every time.

Is that spring plate off an 8.8 axle? Looks like its designed for a smaller OD tubing axle, like d35 or d44. Are the ubolt legs paralell? If not, somebody didnt account for springback when bending them, they bent to 180, and went to lunch.

Back