• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Driveshaft Grease Cap / Zerk fitting ?

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
In trying to figure out what a strange grinding/scraping sound was that would come and go from under my '01 XJ I got under my rig last night to see if anything looked out of place. I noticed that my O2 Sensor wire had fallen down a bit and was resting on my front driveshaft. Not sure if this was the culprit or not, but fixed that issue and noticed that the Grease Cap / Zerk fitting was loose and basically slidding up and down and spinning around freely by hand.

(Found this picture here so I can't take credit. I circled the suspected area in red)

Can this part be replaced or rebuilt or should i work to get the entire front driveshaft rebuilt or replaced?

My rig is DD, not lifted, 4.0, AW4, NP231. Thanks.

You mean the larger grey piece that the zerk is screwed into? It is moving around freely?

Correct. It rotates around and slides up/down the shaft freely. I moved it back to where it should be by hand, but obviously that won't hold. I'm trying to find a local (Tulsa OK) driveshaft repair place to call and see if they can rebuild and what they charge. My rig has 135K miles so it might be time for that.

Back