• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4X4 swap need help!!

Rosati21

NAXJA Forum User
so im converting my 1994 2WD XJ to 4WD and I got the trans ,t-case, front and rear drive shafts out of a 1997 XJ sport. I want to replace all the u-joints now while I have every thing on the ground so I don't have to mess with it twice and its a real pain in the rear to figure out what U-joints I need so if any one has a list of some sort please help.

the front axle is a Dana 30 and the Rear Axle is a 8.25

thanks in advance!!:wstupid::wstupid:

The drive shafts are Spicer 5-153X
The Front axle shafts are Spicer 5-297X or Spicer 5-760X

The axle can take either joint, the -760 is stronger, and I think Spicer quite making the -297, although you can still get the weaker 297 from another manufacturer.

In the future, if you're not sure what a part # you're looking for is, just go to one of the major AP P websites, Autozone, Napa, etc, and enter your year make & model. They'll give you the part#.

Edit: Get Spicer brand joints. They're stronger then other manufacturers joints.

There are only 2 types of u-joints in the Jeep. From the factory, all are the sealed type.

For the axle shafts, Spicer 5-760X

For the rear driveshaft, 2 x Spicer 5-1310X

For the front driveshaft:

3 x Spicer 5-1310X non-greaseable u-joints
1 x Spicer 211544X non-greaseable centering flange
1 x Spicer 286418 seal for non-greaseable centering flange

Ignore the Spicer 5-153 remark above. My mistake. 'Don't know where I got that from. Sorry.

md21722, thanks for straightening that out for us.

and don't buy cheap parts store branded joints.

spend the money on spicer or neapco serviceable ones unless you want to do them again in 15k miles.

Back