• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering help

smokeyyank

NAXJA Forum User
Got a quick question. I am wanting to upgrade the power steering on my XJ and want some help getting pointed in the right direction. Right now it’s on its last leg and hasn't failed yet but I’m just counting the days until it does.

Here is my rig
93 Xj with a 4.0, 4.11 gears with a D44 front ford 8.8 rear, both axles have a LSD, 33” tires with 3.5 lift. I have already swapped out the tie rod with an IRO HD one, IRO double shear track bar all new TRE’s and drag link.

This is my DD but also heads up the hill, so I am needing something reliable, simple and doesn't cost a fortune. I don’t want to be fabricating parts and tearing the whole thing down, but I do want it to be able to keep with wheeling when I go. I also do eventually plan on lifting it higher maybe 5” total but I would still just ran the 33’s. My current thoughts are just swapping everything with stock parts and adding in steering box brace, but I’m open to any thoughts or opinions. Thanks

If you pull your steering box, be prepared for the spacer to be disintegrated. If you have welding skills, a valuable upgrade is to get the spacer replacement from JKS or someone. The spacer breaking apart can wreak havoc on the frame.

David Bricker / SYR

Cool thanks for the info, I had also looked at some people that had the WJ pump and durango steering box, but I don't know if that's the route I want to go right now. I'm not sure if I want to tackle the steering box or not but with the bigger tires it is now becoming more of a thought. And if I was to do that I would also want to get the new spacer put in.

YJ steering box and stock XJ pump with the high pressure fitting enlarged, also have a cooler and run Lucas synthetic fluid. turn 42's with a locker reasonably

Back