• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eaton E-Lockers 4, Current Opinions?

DMS3XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there, I'm planning on re-gearing to 4.88 and locking my HPd30 and d44 at the same time. I was planning on running a aussie and a detroit, but the general consensus seems to say a detroit rear on a DD is a bad idea.
I like E-Lockers best for having less parts to fail. But all the information on them seems to be mixed or confused with Ected and it seems their design is changing often.

Is anyone running the newer 4 pinion options for a d30 or d44 and have something to share about them?

Also does anyone know if the 4 pinion versions are available for d30 with 27 spline d30? So far I have only seen them advertised for a 30 spline d30.

There is nothing bad about a Detroit style locker on a DD. But selectable are always better if you can afford them.

My rear Detroit is a non-issue even for winter driving, granted I have an NP242 tcase and truetrac up front. I do not understand why its held to be a big issue, especially for someone in a year round warm climate.

I have probably 500k miles on vehicles with Detroits in the rear on snow and ice. No problems.

There is nothing bad about a Detroit style locker on a DD

I didn't mean to bash the detroits, I only mean they may not be good for me. I hear almost eveyone speak very highly of detroits and the issues people complain about sound like mainly the results of bad installs. The only complaints that I hear that concern me are people's comments about driving on ice. I'm moving to the north east with my girlfriend and want her to be able to drive the car when it is icy without worrying about her slipping into a ditch. It it were just for me I would not be so concerned.

My rear Detroit is a non-issue even for winter driving

I'm glad to hear that, and would prefer to get a detroit to save some money, but I think for me it will be best to go selectable at least in the rear.

I have probably 500k miles on vehicles with Detroits in the rear on snow and ice. No problems.

Maybe I am over estimating the the drivability factor with a rear detroit on ice. I have not had the chance to drive one so right now I'm going completely off of hear-say.

I am not trying to talk anyone out of choosing an e-locker, but I might suggest that someone capable of screwing up the installation of a detroit could also screw up installing a selectable locker. I personally like never having to wonder if my locker is going to engage or not.

I run an ARB in the rear and an E-locker in the front. The E-locker always locks right away when I want it to, like the ARB. But sometimes takes a little longer to unlock as compared to the ARB. Other that that minor complaint, it works just fine.
I've also run Lock-rites and full Detroits in the snow/ice. As long as you know how to drive in the slippery stuff you'll have no problems with those either. I only changed to ARB because they're the only ones (at the time) that offered 35 spline for the d44's.

I run an ARB in the rear and an E-locker in the front. The E-locker always locks right away when I want it to, like the ARB. But sometimes takes a little longer to unlock as compared to the ARB.

I run the same combination (ARB rear, E-Locker front) and have the same complaint about the e-locker not unlocking right away. Other than that, I like it and haven't had any issues. From what I've heard, ARB customer service is much better than Eaton's, but I haven't had to deal with that at all, so I can't really comment on that.

FYI: Ecteds in my 30/44, 4:56, 33" set up for 6-7 years now. The kids drive the XJ to school, so the unlocked option is nice. Occasional trail use over the years, but when on the trail, lockers are definitely used.

Never had a problem.

To be clear, the ECTED and the E-LOCKER are 2 different animals.
The first is a limited slip and the second is a true locker.

I have a the 4 pinion E-Locker in my 30 and it locks and unlocks without any delay, in my opinion it is the best selectable locker bang for the buck.

Too bad I can't get it for my 8.25 :mad: so I settled for a Powertrax lunch box :tear: which works great but selectable would be nice.

Back