• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horrible Vibrations after Hack n tap and front axle U joints.

bryzenga

NAXJA Forum User
Yup, another vibrations thread. I've searched and read on and off for months now.
Info: np242 xcase, 4.5 in short arm zone add a leaf kit(had good upcountry rear springs) IRO hack n tap, d30 front, 8.25 rear.

Well, after having a 4.5in lift kit from zone, everything seemed fine until I installed a Hack 'n Tap SYE, and yes, I shimmed the rear pinion within 1 or 2 degrees of pointing straight at the yoke of the TC. At the very same time, I replaced the front axle U joints, which the old ones were shot. Like rust and dust falling out when I took them apart.
These vibrations are terrible at 60 mph that are audible and shake the entire rig.
So, with the install if the SYE, I took out the xcase drop brackets. I drove it on the freeway. Bad vibrations resulted. I then looked at pinion angle in the rear and installed correct shims. Vibes still present. Looked at front pinion angles, which were off. I have no adjustable upper control arms, so I reinstallled xcase drop brackets. Still vibrations. I took out the front drive shaft and the vibes are gone. I then swapped the one I took out for the one in the rear, still leaving the front drive shaft out. No vibes. Now using the drive shaft that was originally in the rear, I put it up front and the vibes are just as bad as before with both in. I checked all u joints, they are good. I've checked for slop in pinions, all are tight. Xcase yokes have no slop.

The weird thing is that I had no vibes at all before I changed to a SYE and did the front axle u joints. Is it possible that a wheel bearing was going bad, and now with all of the slop gone from bad front axle u joints, that maybe it's getting magnified? I've jacked up the front and checked for play multiple times, all seems well. I'm at a loss. I've swapped in known good driveshafts with no luck. This problem is driving me nuts. I almost feel like installing a stock xcase with the slip yoke back on it just to better diagnose this, but I don't think that is the issue.
Any help is greatly appreciated. It's driving me crazy! Just want to run at 70 with little to no vibes! Thanks all in advance!

one thing i would check, since i just had this problem on one of my jeeps is that you cut enough off of the hack and tap yoke. You want to make sure that it sits flat on the t-case output.... mine was like 1/16" too long and it was causing vibes but it was super hard to diagnose.....also what are you running for a diveshaft?

I cut to the minimum length that IRO suggested, which I believe is 1.25 in. Running a front Cherokee drive shaft. Shaft was cut flat

As I read this, you put a 4.5" lift on and it was fine until you did axle joints and SYE. Now, you have vibrations unless you remove the front driveshaft. I am not sure if any of these will help, but useful troubleshooting steps would be to (a) check your engine and transmission mount, (b) check your ball joints, (c) check your wheel bearings, (d) check your front pinion for any up and down or in and out slop, (e) check your install of the axle u-joints - make sure the retaining clips are seated properly and that there is no up and down play in the u-joint, (f) make sure your front output shaft does not have excessive play and the yolk is tight

I cut to the minimum length that IRO suggested, which I believe is 1.25 in. Running a front Cherokee drive shaft. Shaft was cut flat

yeah i thought the same thing....im saying i cut the yoke for the drive shaft 1/16" too long and it was bottoming out before the tapped part of the splines bottomed out inside the yoke....

just a thought

Back