• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Real axle wheel bearing lubrication question

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it has me scratching my head...

Since I noticed a subtle howling noise while driving yesterday I wanted to take a few minutes to pop the fill plug on my 8.25 and check the fluid level. The owners manual states that the level should be 1/2" below the bottom of the plug and it was 3/4" below. The lube that was on my finger when i checked looked perfect so I don't think anything in the diff is bad.

What I noticed is that puts the fluid quite a bit lower than the bottom of the axle tubes. So...how do the wheel bearings get lubricated if the gear lube level isn't high enough to allow it to flow down the tubes? They obviously get lubed somehow as my rear end hasn't exploded and i've got 228k on the 'ol XJ. Just curious...

Thanks.

What I noticed is that puts the fluid quite a bit lower than the bottom of the axle tubes. So...how do the wheel bearings get lubricated if the gear lube level isn't high enough to allow it to flow down the tubes?
When going around turns, centrifugal force flings oil out toward the axle bearings.
Evidently doesn't take much lube to keep the bearings alive.

Back