• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Steering Upgrade

SeanSS

NAXJA Forum User
Im wanting to upgrade the steering on my XJ.

Im currently right around 7 inches of lift.
Ive got a LKS adjustable track bar.

The steering is completely stock.
Was wanting to do a OTK setup but am not currently wanting to dig into changing the TB mount on the axle side.

Right now...I have 2 options in mind unless someone comes up with something else for me.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/STR/1TS-UTK.html

Or swapping to a steering setup from a V8 ZJ.

Anyone got some input for me?
Im relatively new to this stuff, this jeep is alot "more" then my last one..

Thank you for the help
-Sean

Don't do JCR or any inverted T setup for that matter.

If you're really at 7" of lift.. Which seems unnecessary for even 37s. You're going to want to go OTK and OTA track bar. A WJ conversion with either crossover heims or tie rods is the absolute best. Somewhat expensive but you also get massive front brakes.

If you're dead set on running it on the stock axle side mount then go CURRIE! Great setup and lasts a long long time.

These recommendations come from experience. I too was at about 7" lift on 33s with stock style steering. Now I am at roughly 5" on 35's. I had just a v8 ZJ tie rod. Then I went Ruffstuff OTK inverted T tie rods. Same as JCR offers But I also went and did the OTA track bar from them. I had tie rod roll and bandaided it with JCR's poly spacer. After fukin with it for long enough I finally went for the WJ swap. And hands down best thing you can do to a Dana 30. Big brakes, better steering.

At almost $600 the Currie is over priced for what you're getting. Like mentioned before, with that much lift, you're going to want something that can handle the height. Crossover steering and an Over-The-Axle track bar with drive much better, and the TREs (or heims) will last much longer. You can do this a couple different ways, but I think the most popular way is the WJ conversion. Costs a little bit more, but a much better bang for your buck. I dont regret doing the WJ set up on mine. The JCR set up can start to "roll" the tie rod and cause a "dead spot" in the steering.

I know you mentioned you dont want to dig into changing the TB, but it would be a waste to dump money into a setup that isn't much better than what you have now. For around 1,000 you can have MUCH better brakes and beefy steering that will handle 100x better on the road.

Also, IIRC, the Currie steering doesn't allow for you to flip the TRE for OTK with out modification to the Draglink.

Last edited:
Thank all of ya for the help, i really do appreciate it.

Im planning on a WJ swap at the moment.
Going to hit up a couple of the local U-Pull yards and see what parts i can come up with.
Planning on buying new rotors.
While im in there, i know i have to replace the lower Ball joints as the stock XJ joints wont work. So im going to replace both upper and lower.
I'll go ahead and relocate my track bar above the axle, instead of in front of it.

Sweet!

The parts for the swap are pretty easy to come by.
you'll wan't
new unit bearings, I used '03 TJ bearings (00-01 xj Unit bearings)
WJ rotors, redrilled to 5 on 4.5
WJ ball joints (the lower is the same PN as an xj, just reduces confusion)
JKS spacer
OTA TB mount. ( tons of choices)
Offset TREs for the tierod
Goferit TRE flip inserts (if you want OTK)
and wheels that are at least 16"

EDIT: You also want Akebono calipers. They are noticeably different, just look when you're pulling them at the JY the caliper says AKEBONO right on it. Some WJs have them some don't.

Last edited:
Re: Re: XJ Steering Upgrade

It's awesome unless you dd your XJ, those joints are prone to wearing out quicker. I haven't used them before, just had friends complain about how the wear quicker than TREs. Ruff stuff has good products though

I've been on the same heims for 4+ years now and they're doing just fine.

It's awesome unless you dd your XJ, those joints are prone to wearing out quicker. I haven't used them before, just had friends complain about how the wear quicker than TREs. Ruff stuff has good products though

I just changed mine after 5 years for piece of mind and they're just as tight as the new ones I bought.

If you buy cheap metal on metal rod ends, you'll have excessive wear. The rod ends that most offroad shops sell now are designed to last with a teflon layer. And the steering on your jeep doesn't see nearly the forces required to really deflect and destroy that layer.

A rod end on a pitch link on a V-22? 315 flight hours and it comes out. Lots of wear there. Steering on your jeep? Not so much.

Back