• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Get Bent '88 Build

R.DesJardin

NAXJA Forum User
Had to have a name for this thing and all the cool red names were taken so since I can see a good amount of time will be dealing with getting everything bent straight and then with bending everything up I went with "Get Bent".
So I bought the this stock XJ to build up and have been going around on how to build it focused on what. So last night I decided just do it. I'm building it for cruising trails and being able to drive it around with a side focus on go fast like for playing in the dunes. SOoooo maybe a Jeepspeed/Expedition setup if that makes sense. I think I'll even get a set of General Grabbers for it.
So an 8.8 with disc brakes will be installed in the rear and a narrowed F150 for the front. I guess I'll plan on running adapter spacers on one end to get a bolt pattern. Unless there is a solution I am no learned to yet?
As delivered to the house she sits low and ready to be modified.
IMGP1331.jpg

I pulled the bumpers off tonight as they were really bent and tweaked. Looks like some other stuff is bent too. Hammer time. Now it time to design some bumpers, something unique and different so when you see them you say "what the!" in a cool way. The rear was bumper was bent but nothing more was damaged underneath.
IMGP1443.jpg

IMGP1442.jpg

Time to start ordering more parts I guess. These showed up today too from Ruffstuff.. Yeah
IMGP1446.jpg

Subscribed. ;)
So an 8.8 with disc brakes will be installed in the rear and a narrowed F150 for the front. I guess I'll plan on running adapter spacers on one end to get a bolt pattern. Unless there is a solution I am no learned to yet?

Yukon makes an "Ultimate 88 Kit" for the 8.8 that will accomplish this with a few other benefits. It comes with 4340 shafts that are dual drilled for 5x4.5 and 5x5.5 bolt patterns. It also eliminates the factory c-clip axles via a bolt on end flange. This will also widen the axle to ~60" since they sit a tad narrower in stock form.

If I had stayed with my 8.8, this was my plan to bullet proof it. Adapters are definitely cheaper, but check with RWK on here for the NAXJA hook up on pricing. One other option to look into, is just having Dutchman make you some 5x5.5 shafts and leave it c-clip.

Looking forward to see this come together.

Thanks for the link Torx, that looks like the way to go. I really am excited about this build.
So is it any year Durango box that is the upgrade swap? So much to learn so little time.

97-99 is the years you're looking for, and from what I gather, its the ones with the "NON SNOW PLOW" package....
You can go the junkyard route, or order a re-man unit.
I got mine on Ebay for a pretty good deal, and it's done great.
Seller is "Detroit Axle"
I think this may it.. although it looks like the price has jumped a little since I ordered last. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-1999-Dodge-Durango-Dakota-Power-STEERING-GEAR-BOX-/150975156505

Hope this helps.

Well I pulled the trailer hitch off and made up some bumper plates for the rear were the stock bumper bolts on I also plan on using the hitch mounting holes underneath for extra durability. For the front I went with Warrior reinforcement plates which showed up today. Now to start designing the bumpers/body protection/exo/roof rack/...........
I'll post up pics when I start cutting and bending metal.

Bumpers started, built some brackets and bent some 1-3/4" tube. Now I need a winch to tuck in there to finish the lower tube and side braces. The winch will sit low and behind that main tube.The grille guard will be 1-3/4" also and the added tubes will be 1-1/2"
IMGP1469.jpg

IMGP1470.jpg

Bumpers done, lift installed, new cup holder. Slowly getting this built. I did pick up a set of F150 running gear, HP44 w/disc, and a 9". This will make a capable setup. Oh yeah I need to wax it up too so it looks shiny......:looney: Been driving it back and forth to work just making sure its reliable. Dash lights don't work or does the rear wiper, thought I read somewhere they are part of the same circuit? Oh well I'll spend some time under the dash and get it figured out.

IMGP0062.jpg
IMGP0061.jpg

IMGP0063_1.jpg
IMGP0064.jpg

Looks good! Bumpers came out really clean, I especially like the rear. I have that same cup holder but my dog broke it within the first week when he was climbing over to the passenger seat. It was nice for a few days though :)

Sold this to my son-in-law Eric he is a member here now EricsRed88. He helps me out in the shop building shifters and more and it will continue to be built up for sure while I build on the 2dr-5.3. He'll be at NWFest with me this year too.

Back