• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30=need help

99lbxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I was looking for a thread on how to remove a dana 30 on my 99 jeep cherokee but couldn't find one.

Do I need any special tools other than the ordinary tools.

Never removed one before so I have no clue.

Thanks for the help.

Nothing special, just the normal jeep tools... 8, 10,13,14,15,18mm 3/4,13/16" sockets/wrenches, Big hammer, dikes (for the cotter pins on your steering, torx, umm... I think thats it... I pulled did most with a pair of channel locks and a crescent wrench before.

Hardest part is likely to be loosening the lower control arm bolts, if they haven't been loosened lately. An impact wrench could be useful for that, or a breaker bar with an extension for lots of leverage.

You will also need a random size torx for the upper control arms, a pickle fork is helpfull, the same for a misalignment tool. But could probably be done without.
Hardest part is likely to be loosening the lower control arm bolts

I... cannot see this, at all.... uppers, sure. Lowers have never presented me a problem, ever ever ever.... i dont get it, maybe your jeeps PO over tightened these, or my jeeps PO undertightened mine... who knows.

I was actually thinking of the LCA to frame bolts, which, come to think of it, don't necessarily have to be loosened to pull the axle. Torque spec's 135, but mine were crazy tight.

21mm universal impact for the drivers axle side LCA and an impact with balls. If you pull the knuckles/brakes/axleshafts, the housing is fairly easy to manage without all the extra weight. http://www.amazon.com/Sunex-2-Inch-Universal-Impact-Socket/dp/B000TQ1752 <-socket I use

I.... dont see this either? Never needed a ujoint swivel, besides for valve covers, spark plug #6, and the intake/exhaust manifolds....

Impacts are never needed, unless you have wimpy blue collar hands.

I will say, the one thing that can make or break your day pulluing a d30, is severly worn uca axle-side bushings, they allow the uca bolt to go all cockeyed.... yuck.

i do it with a 13/16ths box wrench and a 1/2" drive ratchet with the same size socket for the lowers at each end, and the torx and a socket for the uppers at the axle side, frame side is easy if the flag bolts still have the flags secure. if you need to put a socket on the bolt in the frame pocket on the upper do your self a favor and duct tape it to the extension so it doesn't fall off when you pull it out. with the exception of 2 stockers out of the 40+ jeeps ive worked on there has been a 15mm socket rolling around inside the uniframe. :D

Back