• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie rod not lining up

JeepFreak1234

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I recently lifted my xj 3" and now the passenger side tie rod won't line up. Do I need to drill a new hole in the mount? Or is there something I don't know? Thanks.

Tie rod? Do you mean track bar?

If you mean track bar then you SHOULD purchase an adjustable track bar.

Some people find it acceptable to drill a new offset hole in the mount but I'm not one of those people.

Tie rod? Do you mean track bar?

If you mean track bar then you SHOULD purchase an adjustable track bar.

Some people find it acceptable to drill a new offset hole in the mount but I'm not one of those people.

My mistake, it is the track bar that isn't lining up. The lift kit that I bought form Zone off-road did not say anything about needing a new track bar or needing to drill a new hole. But I want to it right if you know what I mean. Are the JKS track bars any good? What would you recommend?

My mistake, it is the track bar that isn't lining up. The lift kit that I bought form Zone off-road did not say anything about needing a new track bar or needing to drill a new hole. But I want to it right if you know what I mean. Are the JKS track bars any good? What would you recommend?

Most companies don't.

JKS is a good brand.

Mine is custom built so I can't give you much first hand experience.

When you lift, the front axle is shifted towards the drivers side. At 3" it is probably shifted about 3/4-1" meaning you need to pull the axle to the right about half that amount so the axle is centered. Many on here prefer double shear track bars. JKS is fine, but is not a double shear. JKS requires drilling the factory track bar mount a small amount. Double shear replaces the factory mount.

Some lifts (my Skyjacker 3" lift) include a track bar re-locating bracket for the axle end of the track bar. Basically a tab that moves the track bar mounting point higher over the axle to compensate for the lowered axle. May not be the optimum solution, but I've been running (hard) like that for about 10 years without issues.

Just a hint. In order to get the holes to line up, turn the steering wheel. It will shift it from side to side.

Just have someone push on the jeep.
thats what I've done when using a non adjustable track bar.

Or buy a adjustable track bar and double shear mount. or drill a new hole.

at 3" the JKS tracbar is a great piece, mine took a few hard side shots without issue

Thanks all for the replies. I ended up doing what old man saidsetting the jeep on the ground, and having my friend turn the wheel so the axle would shift over then putting the bolt in. I took it for a test drive and drives with no issues at all. Again thanks for all the help.

I usually tie a bolt to a string and hang it off the fender flare. Measure it's location from the tire. Then do the same thing on the other side. Adjust accordingly.

The IRO double shear bar/bracket is about 200$ to your door. I believe they are a vendor now, so maybe even cheaper?

I went through this same thing recently.

Installed the RE 3.5" super flex kit. It said to drill a hole about 3/4" over for the track bar which I did.

After a few days of driving I measured from wheel to spring mount and sure enough my axle was about 1" off to the side.

I just installed an adjustable track bar and now everything's centered as it should be.

I was quite surprised at just how much of a difference that 1" to the side made in driveability.

Back