• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just drank the XJ Cool Aid - Now what do I do!

Producer_Shawn

NAXJA Forum User
I made a new year's resolution to get out more with my boys and play in the dirt. Well I figured I needed a 4x4 to do this (and I have not had a project in a while) My boys and I really like the show Prospectors and they seem to like the Cherokee. My first car back in 1994 was a 1987 Jeep Commanche and I had fond memories of looking at 4 wheel magazines and wishing what I had money to do. So I started on the craigslist crusade and finally settled on a 1995 2 door for 3800.00

Here is the link to my build thread. http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/1995-2-door-cherokee-build-so-cal-204105/

So Now I need to find a place and learn to drive in the dirt. I live in Burbank, CA and would like to start local and easy until she and I more aquatinted.

I took a brief look at your build thread on CF. I, too, have a '95 2 door, so have gone through some of the same things you may.

Bumper - I bought the Smittybuilt, I like it a lot. Their quality has improved dramatically in the past few years, and the XRC bumper is a very nice set up.

Fender flares - Napier without a shadow of a doubt over Bushwackers. Better quality, better fitment, cheaper, plus Napier is a supporting vendor of NAXJA.

Consider becoming a member of NAXJA. Your membership goes a long way towards keeps trails open, and helps support this website. Remember that NAXJA is a club first, and also happens to have a great forum. The SoCal group is quite active, and I think you'll find the best part of the club are the friends you will meet through it.

David Bricker / SYR

Gorman is close to you. There is a training area there that you can learn how to drive over obstacles. I have been wanting to take my wife and kids there to teach them some basics. I'll plan a day trip there soon and post it up here. I'm from the Santa Clarita area.

We may also go to Rowher flats this weekend. You may like some of the trails there.

TDS is also coming up. This would be a good event for you to go to and take your kids. In my opinion, it's the best area to learn to drive. Lots of different trails, a training area with rated obstacles, and a pretty good raffle at the end of the day.

Keep an eye out here for different runs that people post up. There usually something going on.

Probably the closest place to you to find some dirt would be Rowher flats, it's about 45 minutes north of you. Faultyline is also located in burbank and maybe you me and him can make a run out there. We recently lifted his rig and I know he really wants to test out his front locker with his 28" tires.

Thanks for the heads up. I would like to get out there with some other XJers for sure. I also just signed up for my NAXJA Membership. I love what they are doing to protect our access to our lands.

Thanks for the heads up. I would like to get out there with some other XJers for sure. I also just signed up for my NAXJA Membership. I love what they are doing to protect our access to our lands.

Thank you for going red! We appreciate your rapid support.

PM me is you want some pictures of a 2 door with the Smittybuilt bumper or Napier flares.

David Bricker / SYR

welcome to the club, and thanks for your support!

come out to the cleghorn run, if you're solo i'll park my ride and jump in your passenger seat and show you the ropes if you're cool with that. would save me from getting stuck in my locked 2wd and holding everybody up.

Sure, need to check with the wifey, what time are you thinking. Also I have 3.55 Gears and no lockers so I am not sure how aggressive my rig is.

Gearing can come later, 4lo will compensate. Even stock the xj will do things that'll make you need a new driver seat and shorts!

Back