• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found Rust/Rot! Need Advice Please

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
So I am not sure if I am asking this in the right section or not. Upon further inspection of my jeep I found an area with some serious rust/rot. It is right under the muffler(big area) and a baseball size patch under the catalytic converter. What is my best course of action now?

Hey Ehall what gauge sheet metal do I need? My local HVAC dealer said I could look through his scrap pile and just take what I needed

i used 18ga i believe for all my rust spots and I've had a lot of them. Here is my latest fix
rust.jpg

and after
fixed.jpg

Hey Ehall what gauge sheet metal do I need? My local HVAC dealer said I could look through his scrap pile and just take what I needed

Just be careful if the metal is galvanized. Welding on galvanized metal causes some nasty fumes that can make you feel like shit (ask me how I know)

Just patched the same place in my 92. Ask at sheetmetal shop if they have any black iron, galvenized is hard to weld, and hard to get paint to stick to. I used 20 ga. black iron, came out great. I'm a tinner by trade so it was a little easier having a brake and roll formers, but you can get good results with a hammer too.

I had the same rust all along the exhaust system and at several other locations on the driver and passenger side. Like was said earlier, cut it out and weld in new metal. I used the rear door of panel van (no window) to get my metal from. I also made an exhaust "tunnel" that is sistered to the trans tunnel to raise the pipe, cat and muffler above the frame rail, but that was mostly to work with my new cross member that sits above the bottom of the frame rail and supports long arms. DONT use galvanized sheet metal, you will be very sorry for many hours after welding. Buy some seam sealer (NAPA) top and bottom.

John

So I got some non galvanized sheet metal from my local HVAC shop, I will be welding/Sealing it in today. I also went to A dollar store and bought 6 cookie sheets to make heat shields out of. Basically once the repair is done on the two spots I will cut up the cookie sheets, primer them and paint them and then stack them together with bolts and nuts to three layers thick and place them between the exhaust and the undercarriage of my jeep. I will post pics of everything once I get to do it.

Back