• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pressure drops and engine cuts out. Need help!

workman13

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee with 4.0. I have had an issue with the engine cutting out more whenever its cold. Today i checked the fuel pressure and at idle it sits at around 45-46. When the engine cuts out it will drop anywhere from 2-6 psi. Any ideas on what the cause of this is? Possible bad relay? Fuel pump going out?

Thanks

Hold your finger on top of the fuel pump relay and see if you can't feel it momentarily opening and closing, it is subtle and hard to feel. Could be your CPS missing a beat or two and the opening the fuel pump (and/or the ASD) relay momentarily?

Or maybe put a volt meter on the battery terminals, if/when the CPS misses a few beats and if the ASD momentarily relay opens, it will shut down the spark and alternator momentarily. You will likely see a small voltage change right when the miss happens. Likely to be easier to see with an old analog volt meter.

Just an idea.

I figured out what the issue was. I checked the plug on the fuel pump and couldn't find anything with the wiring bad. I decided to take the TPS i bought in June back and exchange it under warranty. My issue was fixed! I had a slight shifting issue and that is fixed now too.
Thanks for the help everyone! I hope this helps someone else out

Back