• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New xj owner and quick question

austinandtina

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I'm austin from il and I just got a 94 cherokee 4.0 sport
b63269395e3917f933d32d1a11f28a31.jpg
when going at low speeds it makes a growling slight vibration sensation and clicks in turns. Now would this be cause of a bad u joint or cv joint not sure which this has yet has been to cold to look at it real close.

Also I was wondering what all else should be gone through on this hog.. besides oil Change its black and smells a little gassy. And the coolent overflow has a brown muck in it as well so I'm going to try flushing it hoping it's just from neglect and not the dreaded head warpage. And the reason I ask is I just wanted to know which parts are most prone for wear and tear in these jeeps

I would definately do all fluids if I didn't know previous owner, differentials too. Manifold bolts need attention usually, re-torque, but be careful of that back one seems to break if over torqued. Throttle body usually neglected, take off and clean IAC too, new gasket. Trac bar upper heim joint, push up and down for movement. No movement should be there. Worn trac bar parts give that sloppy steering feel. I'm sure there is more but that will keep you busy for awhile :clap: .

Front axle u-joints sounds like what your clicking sound might be. Possibly front drive shaft joints as well. Look for rust seeping around joint cups.

The growling could be a few things.. My first though would be to check to see if one of the front hub assembly's is toast as for the clicking that's almost always a ujoint. Grab the axle ujoint behind the knuckle on each side of the front and give it a twist and look for play that shouldn't be there.

No you cant do it that way. You need to remove the wheel, brake caliper, rotor, then the hub assembly. once all that's off you can slide the axle shaft out and replace the u joint.

The growling could be a few things.. My first though would be to check to see if one of the front hub assembly's is toast as for the clicking that's almost always a ujoint. Grab the axle ujoint behind the knuckle on each side of the front and give it a twist and look for play that shouldn't be there.

my thoughts exactly.

Stupid question....what t-case are you running? Are you running in 4wd on dry ground?

The axel nut size is going to be a 36mm and you will need a 12pt 13mm for the three hub bolts

this is correct.

I just pulled a bearing to do the shaft u joint.
If it's factory original it will not want to come out. The bearing will be rust jacked into the knuckle.
What you'll need is a torch, heat the knuckle up really well. Then take a chisel and put it on the crack between the bearing and the knuckle. Wail on it until it budges, then go around it and you can work it out.
You will jack up the dust shield for the brakes. It's not a big deal. After it's off you can just hammer the damage back flat. Bolting on the hub will straighten it the rest of the way out.

neverseize everything if you don't want to spend hours getting it off the next time.
Loosen the nut on the axle shaft before you jack it up if you've got steel wheels and can get at it. Otherwise, lock it in 4 hi to get it off. Impact gun is your friend for that one.

Back