• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power supply for LED auxiliary lights

Nimrod

Degenerate Jeeper
NAXJA Member
This is probably really elementary for most of you, but I've never installed any aftermarket electronic accessories and I'm not very knowledgeable about electronics. So please try not to laugh.

I'll be installing a paid of Rigid Industries "Dually" LED light pods. They come with a wiring harness and in-line fuse, but there's no relay involved. It seems pretty straight-forward. My only question is where is a good place under the hood to connect to the 12 volt power supply? I don't want to go directly to the battery because I don't want to risk turning the lights on accidentally during daylight hours and then leaving them on with the engine off. So I want to connect somewhere where power will be on only when the ignition is on. Any suggestions?

Thanks very much.

OK. Thanks. I was hoping there was some easily identified component under the hood that I could tie into. But I guess not.

Add-a-Circuit by Littlefuse is an easy way to wire from your Junction Box to a switch. It uses a slots existing fuse plus another for your accessory. A crimped wire connection though.

Led lighting pulls hardly ANY amperage. A basic 3 watt led pod at 12v running power (keep in mind with system running it will be 13.5-14v which will lower the amperage draw even more) you'd be pull 0.25 of an amp. Which is nothing. My led pods in total at 12v pull a whopping 3amps.

In order to simplify the installation, in light of my very limited knowledge re automotive electrical systems, I gave up on the idea of finding a power source that shuts down with the engine off or key out, and just connected to the "battery" stud on the fuse and relay box in the engine compartment. As I said, the wiring harness included with the lights includes an in-line fuse. So all should be peachy.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Theres a female stud labeled IGN on the fuse box that would work.

Its only a matter of time till you want to keep your lights on ignition off anyways...
How do you like the lights?

How do you like the lights?

Missed this question earlier. I haven't quite finished the installation and havent had a chance to to use the lights in a really dark environment. So all I can really say about them now is that they look great.

I'll have a chance to use them away from city street lighting the second weekend in February. So that'll be the real test.

I have some D2 driving lights in the grille of my WJ. They are really effing bright for how small they are. Love the driving lights for spotting deer on the side of the road.

Basically, they are bright enough to be used in place of headlights, I'll just say that.

Back