• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sunroof leak

Can't really tell where the leak is
It's aftermarket and getting gasket for old sunroofs can be difficult or impossible.
Ran into the same problem with a friend's 97 XJ, with a aftermarket sunroof. It was a brand still in business but the gaskets were not available anymore.
He tracked down a guy who works mostly down in Irvine/Laguna that specializes in sunroofs and has a supply of obsolete gaskets.
He works with body shops, so call around. He wasn't cheap.

You can always seal it up for good with polyurethane.

There are no drain tubes after stripping the headliner.
Because it is an inexpensive aftermarket sunroof. Factory sunroofs, in most cars, have drains on either side.

thanks for the replies.
How do these components pictured wrap around and 'seal' the butchered ends of sheet metal? Before i start taking things apart i want to kind of know what im getting into.
thanks

Since it is an aftermarket sunroof and you have no documentation on how it is constructed, it might need a bit of exploratory surgery.
I would verify the leak's location before disassembly of anything.

Taping the gap between the glass and the frame and then flooding the roof with water should help verify if the frame is leaking between it and the roof.
Taping between gap between the roof and sunroof's frame and then flooding the glass can test the sunroof's weather stripping.
The weather stripping would be my first guess, as it is more likely to deteriorate. With the lack of drains, leaking water needs to go somewhere.
Are the frame's mounting screws tight?

Let us know what you find, there are ways to seal the frame, assuming a leaky frame is to blame.
If the glass weather stripping is leaking, that usually requires finding the correct profile weather stripping.
It can be taped to temporarily prevent a leak.

if its like mine, i don't believe mine has a drain, it will rainy and most of it will go off the glass and roof but some pools up inside, mine only leaks if i park it on a sloped driveway but I've never and problems of leaking. if you can't find a weather strip, grab one that looks similar thats for a door or something and they to make it fit the best with adhesive and cutting. wouldn't think it would be two hard.

also check your bolts for the sunroof, mine used to whittle, tightened some nuts and it fixed itself

Back