• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing a Zj proportioning valve. Not as clear as it seems.

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I have this from zj that had disk brakes
1c3f168b661978e25dc7c0f9d6bcbe21.jpg

Now I've read many different suggestions as to how it's installed, one is to remove the black cup thing
78fd7f2ec91d8ed7492ab0e00d1763ed.jpg

Now it's been said doing that can also lead to bad braking issues. That's to sketchy for me to try then.
Another is just use the spring in place of your xj spring.
1ff043f25b5efa128d5d0ca63fed45da.jpg
because the xj is longer to keep tension on the drums(don't know if that's true)
From looking at pictures the prop valve is the same between xj and disk zj except for color. So what is actually needed to make the brake system to act as a normal zj disk brake system? Do I swap straight across the internals? Or ????? Wanting to know the best route so I can brake normally but also brake correctly during hard braking.

So is the cap suppose to have this hole straight through?
fdd6951ce847e6e026aba6b24fdf6da6.jpg

663152418007676fb72019e475e042fa.jpg

Or is there something suppose to plug this? Trying to know before swapping it in

I looked at the set I harvested: The steel cap has the hole all the way through, but the nipple on the outside has a rubber cap. I think the rubber cap is nothing more than a dust cap.

I looked at the set I harvested: The steel cap has the hole all the way through, but the nipple on the outside has a rubber cap. I think the rubber cap is nothing more than a dust cap.

That's what I was thinking but I wanted to check so I don't install it and have fluid spray everywhere lol

Put the rubber cup/o-ring back on and install all the parts from the ZJ into the XJ block. Removing that o-ring is a load of BS. It just defeats the proportioning 100%, combines the front and rear brake systems and makes for crappy braking.

Back