• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP 30 carrier bearing issue

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
I took apart my HP 30 to change a bad carrier bearing. When I put the new bearings on the carrier, they were going in too tightly.

I looked at the old bearing race and saw galling that matched up with the axle housing. This is on the side that had the bad carrier bearing.

The other side (ring gear side) seems to fit fine and did not have any galling.

However, when shining a light I can see light between the race and housing on both sides.

Does this mean by axle is junk?

Are you saying when installing the new bearings on the carrier they were hard to press on? Do you have some pics of the gaps between races and housing? I've seen races spin in the caps of the carrier, but never gall enough to ruin a housing.

Installing bearings on the carrier was fine. It was that the bearing cup did not seat well into the housing on the drivers side. Galling on the housing matched up with galling on the old bearing cup. I replaced the axle housing with one I got off a forum member. Front end runs smooth as ever now.

Back