• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for Mechanic

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
The motor on my 4.0 is not healthy. P0306 cyl 6 misfire code. Runs really rough. New injectors, coil rail, plugs, reset comp, checked catalytic convertor, still the same. I don't have a compression tester, but going to buy one today at Harbor Freight and use it in the next few days to check. Gut feeling is that I likely have a cracked head as I have a 2000 XJ and they are notorious for it.

I'm ok with light repairs, but not with doing a head swap. Also, I hear that if I have been leaking coolant in to the block the repair can be huge ... internal bearings, oil pump, etc. Right now, I'm not sure if I should be looking for a remanufactured head if that happens or find a junkyard 4.0 and have it swapped in. Either way, I need a reliable and trustworthy mechanic to help that doesn't charge me an arm and a leg.

I normally would work with SpecFab but I can't even get the thing up to his place. I wouldn't trust driving it more than 5-10 miles in fear that I damage it worse than it is.

Anyone know of someone in the SE Portland/Gresham/Troutdale/Sandy area that might be able to help or a mobile mechanic?

Thank you

It has to head up to SpecFab's anyway, so thats an option. But, I think he's probably really busy with his new baby =)

Boring is close. Maybe you can get me in touch with the guy?

My name is Mike and my cellphone is 503.442.1964. I live in Troutdale, so not far. Cheaper than a shop is good. Can't fix this at $65-100 an hour labor rates. I'm just hoping its fairly easy like a $450 head, half day's labor and its up and running.

Nathen is keeping shop work caught up while I'm busy with the new baby so if nick wants to haul it up it will get done.

Nick,
PM me your time so I can call you to discuss. I would love to take you up on your offer to get it up to Adam's place. If I'm lucky we can figure out how to slide my 2 new axles and transfer case on the trailer too.

Thanks!

-Mike
Troutdale, OR

Back