• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to me 1995 XJ, what to do first?

Lake919

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, so after looking at several vehicles in my area, I think I settled on a 1995 Cherokee, it is in good condition, it starts right up and has had some good maintenance done to it. My questions are, once I buy it and get it home what are the first things I should do to it as far as preventive maintenance and just freshening her up go? Thanks for any and all advice. It has no rust and has a slight vibration in the steering wheel after 65 mph, any idea what that could be?

Once I get it mechanically sound, my plan for the jeep is as follows.

Rough Country 6.5" X series suspension lift
Rough Country Dual Steering Stabilizer
SYE
Tom Woods driveshaft
15x8 steelies
33x12.50/15 Goodyear MTR's
4.88 gears
lockers? open to suggestions here please.
Upgraded Alternator and Optima Battery
JCR Vanguard PreRunner front winch bumper
JCR Vanguard Rear Bumper with Tire carrier
JCR Classic Sliders
JCR Rear Quarter Panel Body Armor
JCR 1 ton Steering Upgrade-Again need help here, do I want over or under the knuckle?
50" LED light bar
22" LED light bar on the bumper
Misc 4" LED light pods on both sides of the roof rack and rear of jeep in the bumper
JCR Adventure Roof Rack
JCR Unibody and steering box tie in
Smittybuilt XRC 9500 lb wich with Synthetic rope.

Any thoughts on this build or suggestions are always welcome.

If it were me I would do a full tune up, all fluids and maintenance parts

Coolant
Thermostat
Flush heater core with a hose
Oil and filter
Trans and filter
Transfer case fluid (don't worry about the filter or magnet)
Differential gear oil
Spark plugs and wires
Distributor cap and rotor
Fuel filter
Lube every zerk you can find

Your vibe is probably tire balance. These things are very sensitive.

Last edited:
If the trans. fluid is nice and pink and clean looking, and it shifts well, I'd not worry about a full change and filter unless it's getting up in the 200K mile range. The filter is coarse with a lot of real estate.

Check the alignment, and make sure that all steering components are tight. Make sure the axle universals are nice and tight too. Jack up each front wheel by the axle inboard of the knuckle, and check the ball joints by putting a lever under the tire and lifting. There should be no movement. Now turn the steering to full lock, and rotate the wheel. The wheel should turn easily even at full lock. Before it gets loose and noisy, an axle u-joint will often get dry and bind.

If it's been in a muddy environment, make sure there is not a lot of junk lying on top of the gas tank. It tends to catch up there, and can rust through. Also check very carefully for rust at leading corners of the roof, near the edge of the windshield, and repair anything that you find immediately, as it is very difficult to deal with rust if it goes through the roof. Of course it depends on where the thing has spent its life. I had to retire my Vermont 95 when the rust got so bad that I could not seal the windshield and cold air poured out on the passenger side, and every time it rained the driver's seat got wet. When the cold air outpaces the heater, it's a tough thing to use in winter.

As a general procedure, you should get underneath, and meditate a little, while looking carefully at everything for rust, leaks, and the like. All rust is best treated when young. While you're down there, check the anchor point for the front emergency brake cable, which is under the rear seat. If it shows signs of cracking or bending, the emergency brakes will be very weak. It's easily reinforced.

Thanks a lot guys, I am buying it tonight. I live in southern Alabama. No salt, I scoured it and found no rust. I am paying 2100 for it. It runs well. I drove it and it ran good. Only once at full stop, shifting from first to second was kind of harsh. It only did it once though. Auto trans. 207k.

Get yourself a stiff, thin gauge wire and look underneath the entire car and poke the wire
into every body water drainage port to make certain that they are clear and good.

There are some underneath the door edges. Also, look for the ones underneath each rear quarter panel (behind the rear tires). These may be hard to find as that area of
the car will often be caked with mud and dirt.

I've done this to 3 XJs over the years and each time about a gallon of water (no joke)
came pouring out of the driver's rear quarter panel.

All this will lessen the chances of seeing rust appear on your new/used heep.

Buy a welder build your own bumpers. Also no need for steering stabilizers. Or led light bars

I BOUGHT IT!!! 1995 XJ with 217k on the clock. I drove it home about 55 miles on the interstate at about 70-75 mph and it ran really well. The only thing I really noticed is that it "clunks" a lot over bumps at low speeds I hear it a lot in the rear. Any ideas?

front will be a hp30.

does it have abs? easy way to tell if you have an 8.25 rear is no abs, a rubber fill plug, and a flat bottom on the diff.

Ball joints, u-joints, and unit bearings are the first thing I'd check out. Brake pads too while you have the calipers off for the unit bearings.

The front will be a high pinion dana 30. The rear is either a Chrysler 8.25 or a Dana 35. The dana has a round bottom and the Chrysler has a flat bottom.

Did you get any maintenance records with it?

I did get maintenance records for it and it appears to having been taken care of. I will look at the axles in the morning when I put her on the lift. I am super excited. It's my 2nd XJ, my first was a super low mile 2001 and was totaled in the first 6 days of my owning it-drunk driver.

So my to do list tomorrow is as follows:

Change the oil and filter
Drain the Coolant and Flush it
Change the Transfer Case Fluid
Change the Diff oil in both axles
Scour all over the jeep for rust
Install new Shocks for the rear hatch
Check all of the steering and suspension components
Go to the local JY and pull Injectors from a neon or other 95-97 dodge vehicle
Check the brake hardware and flush the brake lines
Go to the DMV and get it titled in my name

This should keep me busy for most of tomorrow

The rear shocks can be a little tricky if you have to replace them but it is worth it. Soak the bolts with penetrating oil for a couple of days before you do it and pray they don't snap off. I got lucky and only one of mine broke. I had to take it to the local tire and lube (with one shock missing) and have them knock it out with an air hammer. The bolt threads through a nut that is welded to the opposite side of a panel . . .
Here's a link to a video that it explains it better than I can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n49HdnVEgEE

Definitely check your rotors for even wear and make sure the calipers are working properly. I put new brake pads and rotors on mine not long after I bought it. The first time I got those new pads and rotors good and warm, my XJ almost shook me out of the road. Turns out one side of the caliper on the passenger side wasn't opening up all the way. When that got hot from constant friction, everything expanded and the thick new pad was grabbing the rotor on one side jerking the tire to the side. I replaced the calipers the next day.

Regular shocks are cheap and so are the brake parts. All are worthy of being replaced if they are stock.

The 95 calipers have a plastic piston that generally is trouble free, since it does not rust or corrode, but also can be chipped easily, so when doing the brakes, be careful. I cant count how many sets of pads I went through, but I don't think I ever had caliper problems on my 95 in over 260 thousand rust-prone Vermont miles. Nor on the 99 with even more.

Do, however, cast a critical eye on the rubber caliper hoses. If they are beginning to crack, replace them, as they may expand slightly under pressure reducing brake efficiency, and if the innards deteriorate, they can cause odd brake behavior and caliper drag.

Back