• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 Cross Pin

D-Schmidt

NAXJA Forum User
Its stuck! Tried beating on it with a punch. Then tried heating up the carrier around the pin. It moves a tiny bit but won't come free. Is there a trick to getting these off? Any help is greatly appreciated. Trying to get this axel ready for tax season so I can put a locker in it.

I'd be careful with the heat.... You did remove the bolt right?

Strange, the pins have always fallen right out for me once the bolt was out.

Well it looks like my bolt is only partially removed. Judging by the pictures I've looked at it looks like it snapped just after the threads. Going to try to romove it with a small magnet.

if you haven't bent the remaining piece of bolt and all the thread section is out. i usually spray some brake clean in there, then hit it with some compressed air around the cross shaft. if threads are present try a small scratch awl or pick see if you can spin the rest of the lock screw out. no luck? torch out the cross shaft right at the lock screw then knock it out.it sucks but sometimes only way.

Sadly last time this happened to me (and it's happened multiple times... on d44a, 8.25, and 8.8 rears) I ended up butchering the cross shaft and carrier to cut the crosspin bolt on both sides of the cross shaft, then replaced the shaft and carrier.

You could always try insulating the sides of a piece of coathangar wire with tape, then hook a battery to it and snake it down straight in so it fuses to the broken surface, then hope the bolt didn't fuse to anything else in the process and drag it back out, but who knows if that will work. Try the magnet first.

Back