• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New tires, new axle noises

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Backstory: three new tires on the front of the jeep, since it's freezing out the jack handle stuck and the jeep came down fast from about a foot up

Start driving and I'm getting a clicking slamming/knocking noise that goes with the Rpms. It shakes the floorboards almost like its the front driveshaft, turning to the right it gets kinda worse, hitting the brakes makes it momentarily stop

When I say it's loud it's an understatement, put it in part time and no difference, got out and turned the front shaft and it turned about 1/5-1/4 of a turn, but no up down movement, vibe doesn't make it to the steering
http://s61.photobucket.com/user/sil...7-4AAE-BC8A-34F863C28BDE_zps8tfkjo00.mp4.html

Towards the end I put the camera inside and you can hear it

Tia

Doug

Brake Caliper bolts tight? Rotate tires to see if noise follows. I don't think dropping it a foot will have any ill effect on it.

Spent the last two hours looking online, I swapped d ring rims on to replace the stock honeycomb ones and the rotors are scored worse than I've ever seen so maybe something is up with the calipers, I'll see if I can pu it into the shop when/if it gets above 0 tomorrow

Backstory: three new tires on the front of the jeep, since it's freezing out the jack handle stuck and the jeep came down fast from about a foot up
Well, there is your problem. The front only takes two tires. Remove the third.

New to you tires? Move them to the back(just the 2) and see if the vibe goes with them. What about the wheels? One possibly bent? Torqued the lugnuts down properly? Check for play in the ball joints, hub, and steering components.

Should have said threw

No play at all from the drivers side which is where I swear it's coming from, no noise when I jack it up and spin, but the passengers side u joint looks like it has some slop, and I can almost recreate the noise, faintly, when I spin the wheel by hand

Back