• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 exhaust question

Sean112280

NAXJA Forum User
What is everyone running for exhaust on their late models? Mine is still stock and muffler has a small hole and the tailpipe is touching my rear shackle and I don't want it to burn out the Greece in there. So I will be cutting off about 4" off that. Just want some ideas of what others are running.

I have the dynomax cat-back. It's great for the money, Got it on sale for $75. After 4 years the muffler has cracked it's case, Most likely do to not having one of the hangers setup right, So I'm going to try a magnaflow knock-off from "flea-bay".

Just my .02

I have read a lot of folks saying the Dynomax does not hold up over time. But it is inexpensive and may be easy to change every few years.

I have the Banks Power Monster exhaust. Got it for $279 shipped. I actually gained 2 MPG with this exhaust over the factory one. It grumbles, but doesn't drone in the cab, so it makes a really nice exhaust. The company claims it flows 108% better than stock.

http://bankspower.com/products/show/462/103

I combined it with a 62mm throttle body and some 784 injectors.

This is how I ended up running my 97 exhaust. I didn't buy a kit. Just put on a Flowmaster 50 series and bent the pipe up and out of the way so it wouldn't get crushed on rocks.

ERCKMGxl.jpg

Dynomax cat back, great sound and not annoying, had a magnaflow straight through muffler, sounded horrible and sounded like crap

I've been thinking about doing a dump right after the muffler. My current exhaust has basically rusted out right there. No smells or light headedness so far. Not sure on muffler yet though.

I've been thinking about doing a dump right after the muffler. My current exhaust has basically rusted out right there. No smells or light headedness so far. Not sure on muffler yet though.

We did that on my buddy's XJ for about a week. It sounded cool for a few days but then it just started sounding like it had an exhaust leak all the time. Tail pipe out the back is the way to go.

I have the Banks Power Monster exhaust. Got it for $279 shipped. I actually gained 2 MPG with this exhaust over the factory one. It grumbles, but doesn't drone in the cab, so it makes a really nice exhaust. The company claims it flows 108% better than stock.

http://bankspower.com/products/show/462/103

I combined it with a 62mm throttle body and some 784 injectors.

Running the same. Sounds awesome. Their install instructions SUCK BIGTIME. second step told me to cut the cat, yea shouldn't have done that.

Back