• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please Help

HunterRivett

NAXJA Forum User
1998 XJ Sport, 4.0, 4x4, AW-4

Symptoms:

Bucking, Shaking, and then Stalling and Dying in 3rd (when under load) and 4th (anytime.)

Speedometer and Odometer only work when brake is applied.

Codes: p0500, p0700

Are they intertwined? Please help, I am 3 months and $3500 into this Jeep.

Thanks.

Well, the 1st code indicates a fault in the transmission speed sensor. That would cover the speedometer issue.
The 2nd is a generic, transmission WTF fault.

You didn't give any extra information; is this vehicle all Stock?
Has it ever been off-roaded?
You say you are $3500 into this vehicle. What other work have you done?

IIRC, one of the AW4s favorite transmission related issues is hunting though shift points due to a dirty NSS, which also provides gear selection information to the TCU.

For any of the 2 transmission speed sensors or the 1 vehicle speed sensor?

This vehicle is all stock...the only off-roading is going hunting, fishing. 4x4 is only used for bad roads (snow, ice).

When I first purchased the vehicle, I knew I would have to replace the motor. It was blown from the previous owner (melted rather). The motor in it is from a 96 XJ. After replacing the CAM Sensor and CRANK Sensor, Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, Battery, TPS, and cleaning/boiling the intake, it runs pretty good. Idle is a bit high for my liking, with the occasional "miss". The shifting symptoms outlined earlier happen as well...

I plan on cleaning the NSS today.

It is hard for me to find info on the 3 "speed" sensors...(wiring, connections, etc.)

THANKS!

The fact that it works when the brake is applied make me believe the sensor works.

Could the wiring be frayed or snipped causing this?

Id love help finding a wiring diagram...

When the new brake light sensor is removed, the speedometer works fine.

When the new brake light sensor is installed, the speedometer doesnt work.

The brake light sensor was replaced because the old one did not function.

No idea why a brake switch would cause the speedo to stop working.

There was a link around here somewhere for a place that was selling an electronic copy of the FSM for something real reasonable. That sounds like your best bet.

Back