• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"New" 89 Renix XJ

Abandoned89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So guys i have a dilemma I just purchased a 1989 Xj with the 4.0, nv242 t-case, Auto trans. It only has 97k miles on it i got it for a steal IMO i paid $700 for it at a government abandoned vehicle auction. My original intent was to flip it as it is very clean and the paint is in excellent shape. Im very torn on whether to flip it or keep it and make a trail rig. Ive always wanted an XJ. I haven't had a "trail rig" if you can call it that since i sold my heavily modified pos IFS jeep liberty. What does everyone think? is it worth turning this old Renix into a trail rig or should i hold out for something better and sell it? its currently completely stock.

Thanks!

If its in really good shape you should sell it to somebody who will give it some DD love and buy a POS for a trail beater

My version of trail rig is it would be driven 2-3 times a week to work on 32's and lift. See some trails/the beach maybe 3 times a year. not a complete trail rig on 33+ tires and get beat up every weekend lol

if it's in good shape and you're looking for something to play with a few times a year, you probably won't find anything much better than an XJ-- 'course what would you expect to hear on an XJ site??

I bought my first one in Feb. of '07 with the same plan-- flip it and move on to the next project....... it's been in the driveway/yard ever since.

$200.00 Jeep:

semi-recent pic:

it will serve you fine.

Renix is misunderstood. It's a fine system, but not user friendly for diagnosis. Get handy with a multimeter. Double check the grounds. Set the TPS. Replace the O2 sensor. Throw ignition tune up parts at it.

those things will keep it running for a while, and it will get better mileage then an HO. My renix junk averages 25 on the highway.

I can't remember when they deleted the transmission "power/comfort" switch, but if yours has it, leave it in power. Better for the clutches in the trans. The later ones defaulted to that with no switch.

If its in really good shape you should sell it to somebody who will give it some DD love and buy a POS for a trail beater

it will serve you fine.

Renix is misunderstood. It's a fine system, but not user friendly for diagnosis. Get handy with a multimeter. Double check the grounds. Set the TPS. Replace the O2 sensor. Throw ignition tune up parts at it.

those things will keep it running for a while, and it will get better mileage then an HO. My renix junk averages 25 on the highway.

I can't remember when they deleted the transmission "power/comfort" switch, but if yours has it, leave it in power. Better for the clutches in the trans. The later ones defaulted to that with no switch.

Im going to keep it and do a few modifications. On that note it stopped running on me yesterday. it starts and then cuts off. It is a fuel issues. It appears that its something to do with fuel pump wiring. The previous owner ran a wire from the 12volt + side of the electric cooling fan to the ballast resistor wire on the front of the ballast resistor. which to me seems it was to supply power to the pump when the fan runs? the fan still functions correctly however it is not enough "juice" or something i tried rewiring this "bypass to see if it was a break in the wire. still won't stay running if i take my power probe and supply 12volt + to the wire on the ballast resistor the XJ will stay running as long as i provide current.. the jeep will not run. bypassing the ballast resistor alone does not do anything either. it still starts and immediately shuts off.

Thanks for the help!

I already replied to your other thread. If it has fuel while it is cranking, and none while the key is in the "Run" position, your ignition switch may have fulfilled its service life.

Check the ground that goes to the passenger side of the block just behind the distributor and see if you have the C-101 harness connector in your loom. It mounts to the fire wall just above the brake booster. The C-101 is a common problem in early renix systems and wasn't deleted until mid 89 production trucks. My 87 had the same issue your describing and a good cleaning and connection check of the C-101 sorted it.

Back