• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE coil springs

megamanmojo

NAXJA Forum User
hello naxja

I was just wondering if any one knows the installed length of the Rubicon express 3.5 and 4.5 lifted springs. I read that the 4.5 should sit at 16 to 16.5" and the ones i have now are 15". im just trying to check so i don't go spending more money. because i think they sent me the 3.5

just a fyi the re 4.5's are very soft, the ones I had sat at 3.5" with a cage bumper and winch

just checked, installed the RE 4.5's I had were 15" installed, that was a used set and I also tried my friends brand new set.

You always add a extra set of coil isolators up get or add some spacers

my RE 4.5 coils(just installed a couple weeks ago) are also right about 15" installed, after settling about .25". they are definitely on the soft side...i added an extra stock isolator to get the height i was looking for.

here a pic on were the jeep is siting now, this pic a little old i have removed the fender flares

3B041655-3FD0-4FAE-AB81-0230FF836D4C_zpssumisjet.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

that looks pretty good...
I'm just a little higher than that, due to the extra isolator. I may pull mine and swap to the 4.5 zj coil maybe. I need to research the spring rates.
after some quick research, I think I'll stay with the RE1310 for now. Rides really nice, and I won't be adding a big honkin' winch bumper or anything.

Last edited:
what size isolator do you guys think i should do? also my friend was telling me that my shackle angle could be the the reason why the rear is siting a little higher.

I thought RE's coils were supposed to be really stiff? Your all saying they are soft? The last ones I had were their 4.5s, back in 2004 or so. They were stiff. Hmm.

the 4.5 coils are 164 lb coils, vs stock at around 145...147....something like that. Where the 5.5 xj coil is 240, I think.
as far as adding spacers, one additional stock isolator per side will get you about 5/8".

RE xj spring rates

3.5 240lbs/inch
4.5 164lbs/inch
5.5 184lbs/inch

I wonder why theres such a big difference in spring rate between 3.5" and 4.5".

I have the 3.5" coils now and was thinking of switching to 4.5" because the RE leaf packs sit pretty high

The 3.5" coils are grossly under-spec'd. Upon initial install, they yielded roughly 4.5" (and don't seem to have settled in at all after nearly 5 years).

I need to find softer coils...

How long are they all uncompressed? I am swapping in a waggy d44 front axle and have teraflex 3" coils and need more lift to get rid if my spacers.

Back