• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

241J swap - Speedo?

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
I have a line on a 241J out of a 2006 LJ that already has 1310's on it. Looks like it would be pretty much a straight swap for my 231 according to all the posts I've read, except that the case uses a tone ring/magnet for the speedometer and so it won't work out of the box with my setup, right? I heard there are some electronic boxes that can sit in the middle between the two. Is that right? Can anyone give me a quick set of links to what I need to purchase to make this fairly painless?

Thanks!

Iirc it's a Dakota digital product, don't remember any p/n's

Just google Dakota digital and go from there

I hope you have better luck. If you get it to work please post up the wiring and the Dakota Digital configuration you used. I was unable to get a signal out of the NP241J that the Dakota Digital box could see. I never got the flashing green light showing that a signal was present. At this point I am considering adding a tone wheel to the drive flange on the rear axle and a separate pick up.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1114507&highlight=np241J+wiring

John

John,
Someone told me that the transmission may act sporadic if it can't detect the speed. Are you having any problems with that?

After reading your post, I may be in better shape. Mine's a 2000, so I have a 3 wire setup and most of the posts I read with the Dakota Digital box worked well for people with 3 wire setups. I'll just have to see what happens =) There's also a speedometer/driveline shop here in town that could probably help me tweak on it a bit if necessary.

I've never seen any issues with late model guys in regards to the Dakota digital setup, but I haven't personally used it. Just looked into it for a while

Well, the t-case and the Dakota Digital setup is on order. Apparently, the guy I'm ordered it from had the case in a similar rig with the same unit and it worked for him, so that's a plus =)

No transmission issues without a speed signal here (manual trans)
But when the wire came loose from the sgi-5 it did throw the check engine light

Back