• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power locks stopped working...?

stevem50

NAXJA Forum User
my daughter was fooling with my key fob and set the alarm off on my 99 xj classic, after i turned that off, now the power locks dont work either from the remote or the door switches. is this a hell of a coincidence that the system stopped working exactly when she was screwing around with the remote, or is there a way to disable the power locks that we accidentally tripped? better question, could hitting the buttons over and over have melted down the relay? is there a way i can test it? i hate to ask dunb questions but ive found that there is more reliable knowledge on tap here than ill find on google

Last edited:
after some tinkering, i found if you try to hit the remote, it clicks in the passenger door...? on yahoo answers another guy has the same issue and the answer said that the master in this system is in the passenger door. it seems that the switch might have gone bad if this is correct? seem right to anyone?

I've had one malfunction of the power door locks on my 98 XJ since I've put in my alarm system in 2012. When the passenger control panel assembly failed earlier this year, it failed exactly as you describe. I could not activate the locks with the remote or from any door switch. In my case, I determined the passenger side assembly was bad by rapidly working the switch (locking and unlocking it) about 20 or 30 times. Doing so would finally get the system to work for a few days before it would fail again. I eventually tired of the problem and ordered a genuine Mopar replacement module from Amazon and swapped it out and all was good. On disassembly of the old module , I could see fuzz or lint stuck in between the switch contacts, which was preventing the system from working. As I had already installed the replacement module, I left it in, but I am sure had I put the now cleaned module back in it would have worked properly. According to my repair log, the passenger switch is 56009451AC. It runs about 75 to 100 dollars depending on if its a genuine Mopar part or a OEM clone (Dorman, etc). Just a bit expensive just to buy and throw in there, hoping for a fix unfortunately.

That's what bugs me about electronic modules.. The best test for most is usually to spend the loot and replace it... Fingers crossed, I'm ordering parts

Back