• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

About to jump

POSJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to buy a 1986 4.0, 5spd, 4x4...I know it's a BA/10 don't know what rear axle it has...is there anything I need to know before I buy it or any reason I shouldn't? It only has 73,000 miles on it.

Well, could always do a V8 swap.

73k miles, what is the body like? Add 4.0/AW4 swap, 97+ front clip and interior

8057913307_44820d314a.jpg

73k miles, what is the body like? Add 4.0/AW4 swap, 97+ front clip and interior

8057913307_44820d314a.jpg

The firewalls are different IIRC the 86 firewall needs to be massaged to fit the longer 4.0. Unless its absolutely beautiful its probably still easier to start with a 4.0 jeep

The radiator support is different also. The later 86s had the 4.0 firewall cut out. It will have a AX-5 if it is in fact an 86. You could get lucky and find a Metric Tonne package with a AMC20 in the rear. All 86s were long beds also.

And the truck posted above ("Prime" is it's name) is not an 86 either.

I've only seen it in the ad on Craigslist. I'm going to be moving to North Dakota in March and don't know if I wan to mess with the carbs on the V6...In reality I plan on a 3800 swap in the future, but that is a long way off and don't have the tools or time in the short period before the move...if you guys talk me into it I might jump on it. But I really want a TBI engine in the cold.

Here is the link: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/4803087137.html

I've been in contact with him and a couple other thing that sound sketch: it is registered non-operational "because the previous owner only used it on his property" and it runs well "but needs a new radiator".

the body is clean.

I'd not count on the drivetrain being worth a damn. So I'd go into it planning a complete drivetrain swap.

dude wants way too much money.

It has a couple things going for it. It is an X. It has the uber rare butter scotch interior. It has a nice rare chrome rear bumper. Things going against it is the 2.8 and the bad radiator. Radiators for the early trucks are hard to find and a bit pricey.

You can do a 3.4 swap and put a 4.3 tbi on it fairly easily. I just did one on a 4.2 CJ and it was amazing afterwards.

An 86 is a niche truck. You either love them and accept their short comings and then update them.

Or...

You buy an 87+ and be done with it.

Oh and the 3800 swap is not easy. I know of one that has been done and he swears he will never do it again.

It has a couple things going for it. It is an X. It has the uber rare butter scotch interior. It has a nice rare chrome rear bumper. .

none of those things make it worth dealing with a 2.8 drivetrain, 4.0 swap or the price in my opinion.

Back