• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

raised shock mount angle?...

gthbryce

NAXJA Forum User
So i have 6 inch rustys springs that have been on the car two years and are short and not broken in what so ever. Well my bushing were shot on my shackles and my springs and my shackle angle was so far forward it was slamming into the spring hanger boxes. I ordered and installed HD offroad no lift boxes. I decied it would be smart since the springs were off to cut and raise my shock mounts :banghead:. I dont weld and never have and my buddy seems to think that if i dont have everything perfectly setup how its gonna sit on the wheels so that the shock mounts are straight up and down they could cause the shocks to bind and snap. I've seen rigs running 6.5 inches with stock shock mounts, are they binding and breaking? I think he's being rediculous but what do I know? Btw I'm removing 1 or two of the bottom leaves and I'm running the shims that came with their kit so i may need to reshim if i drop lower than 6inch lift because im running a double cardan, so how am i supposed to know after the springs break in and settle if his precious perfect shock mounts will be straight up and down? I think im starting to confuse everyone at this point. When raising shock mounts is angle critical with my pinion pointed at my transfercase to eliminate bind?>

In my thread http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1117225 you can see how I had mine relocated.

I would have your pinion angle close to where you will have it before welding the mounts on. And of course having the angle on the mount perfectly perpendicular to the shock is best, but anywhere close will work, just be harder on the bushings on the shock.

Just running a shim with my old lift for 6 years completely destroyed my old bushings, but never broke anything.

Minor spring settling or adding a 2*shim is probably not going to create enough bind at the shock bushing to cause accelerated bushing wear, but as a best practice, you'll want to have your pinion angle dialed in before you relocate your shock mounts.

Your buddy is accurate in his recommendation to correct the shock mount angle to eliminate bushing bind. The downside of not doing this is premature bushing failure and depending on wheeling style, breaking off the shock mounting eye is possible. I've witnessed both of others rigs.

Back