• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are my shock relocation brackets installed correctly?

xriide

NAXJA Forum User
So I had a u bolt elimination and shock relocation welded up for me.
But I think the shock relocation is installed wrong? Should be on the top half of the axle right?

15843665738_0328657fee_b.jpg

15845344447_252ab55a3f_b.jpg

I used one of those small gravity feed sand blasters to clean up the metal and welds and just shot a quick coat of primer on.

I almost think the shock relocation is mounted upside down, should be on the top half of the axle, not the bottom...

15843665078_0f0d922abf_b.jpg

You can put them anywhere really, but most sit flush or close to flush like the ones shown in pic. It basically moves the point up.

Ah ok, I figured they would be up and out of the way more. I mean it is a HUGE improvement over stock. But I guess I just expected more.

If you still have the stock upper shock mounts and moved the lower mounts to the top of the axle, you would only be able to fit shocks with about 4" of travel.

Relocating the upper mounts (see Boostworks thread) is a whole separate thing.

If you still have the stock upper shock mounts and moved the lower mounts to the top of the axle, you would only be able to fit shocks with about 4" of travel.

Relocating the upper mounts (see Boostworks thread) is a whole separate thing.

Hmm good point. I do still have the stock upper mounts.

Mine are basically modified stock mounts, cut and welded pretty close to flush with the bottom of the axle. Currently using stock length Monroe sensa-trac shocks. It rides good, but does limit droop a bit in comparison to stock axle location. I have a pair of BPE's so been looking at options to maximize travel more.

Looks good to me. Personally I would have moved them up about another inch or so; so they wouldn't be hanging down past the axle tube. Just one less thing to get hung on but I wouldn't worry about it!

I like the whole doing away with the ubolt idea, how much lift did u gain from that spring perch?

Last edited:
Mine are basically modified stock mounts, cut and welded pretty close to flush with the bottom of the axle. Currently using stock length Monroe sensa-trac shocks. It rides good, but does limit droop a bit in comparison to stock axle location. I have a pair of BPE's so been looking at options to maximize travel more.

What is BPE?

Looks good to me. Personally I would have moved them up about another inch or so; so they wouldn't be hanging down past the axle tube. Just one less thing to get hung on but I wouldn't worry about it!

I like the whole doing away with the ubolt idea, how much lift did u gain from that spring perch?

I might try and plate he bottom to make it less grabby?

The U bolt elimination got me between 1.25" and 1.5" depending on what measurement I wrote down was the right one from before I had them in, lol.

I kind of think the u bolt elimination should have wrapped the axle a bit more, but I don't think it will go anywhere, I'll check for signs of stress after a hard day wheeling.

I did a similar lower shock mount relocation, but this limits shock travel more that I wanted. After following a JK on the trail and noticing their lower shock mount placement, I decided to move my lower mounts back down, but locate them further outboard, which reduces the likelihood of them getting hung up or smacked because they are closer to the tire. I can now run a 10" travel shock with 4.5" up and 5'.5" down travel.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913774&page=13

IMG_7025.jpg

BPE's are Bar Pin Eliminators, which eliminate the breakage prone upper shock mount bar pin. Here's the ones I fabbed up:

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

I usually don't just burn in a shock mount any old place but measure for the desired shocks to be used at the right angle too.

Fine is subjective to your desired amount of lift and rear shock travel -Does it work for you? I would have mounted them higher up

I usually don't just burn in a shock mount any old place but measure for the desired shocks to be used at the right angle too.

Fine is subjective to your desired amount of lift and rear shock travel -Does it work for you? I would have mounted them higher up

I had them done at a shop, And I guess I should have given more information as to what I expected.

But after getting it flexed out I am not sure higher would have been better.
I do need longer shocks though.

Right now the shock is the limiter on both sides, it needs to be a couple inches longer, it won't stuff the tire as much, but once I have 35" tires that won't be an issue.

15851359698_4efa1cbd26_b.jpg

That is a REALLY good idea. And will be using that if I ever need to move them now.

Back