• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is over the knuckle steering worth it?

xriide

NAXJA Forum User
I need a new tie rod as the factory one just isn't cutting it anymore. And that has me looking at steering options.

I like over the knuckle as it gets everything up and out of the way a little and seems like it brings geometry back to stockish.
I have 5.5" of lift or so.
I'm looking at the IRO 5/8th kit.

But I also want to run hydro assist, and feel like I can't really do that with over the knuckle.

I don't run in the rocks, as we don't really have them here. So I'm not sure if it's worth the upgrade or not. Opinions?

People run hydro with high steer all the time.
Not sure what tire size you are running, but maybe consider something like the teraflex high steer setup or WJ.

Why couldn't you run hydro assist with otk?

Thousands run hydro assist and full hydro otk, and with high steer arms. Its actually better because your ram can (usually) be mounted out of harms way!

Iro would work, but the wj would be nice for the brake upgrade....

Maybe I wasn't searching for the right term when looking for high steer and hydro. I just wasn't sure where you would mount the ram to on a high steer?

I will have to look into the WJ upgrade, as better brakes would be pretty sweet.

Not really a lot of parts searching at all..
WJ knuckles (JY)
WJ Lower BJs (Summit)
WJ Akebono brake calipers rotors and pads(Summit has a kit) Redrill rotors to 5x4.5
Ruffstuff Crossover steering kit
Ruffstuff OTA track bar kit
TJ Pitman arm to correct the angles(potentially.. I had to)
00-01 XJ Hub bearings
JKS Flange spacers
Some 15" wheels fit. Mine do even with inner wheel weights. (15x8 3.75" backspace)

Back