• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax15 shifter question

no and jeep ax-15 shifters are hard to come by.

a dakota AX-15 shifter will work, but it will place it higher than normal. You can always cut one down.

Doubtful, but check with Novak. If it didn't come with a factory shifter, I've got an OE AX-15 shifter assembly that I'd sell.

there was also at one point a hurst short throw made for the ax-15.

now idea if it's still in production. it was a complete shift tower.

it was expensive.

s14unimog. p.m. me about your shifter assembly

You got it - just let me know.

there was also at one point a hurst short throw made for the ax-15.

now idea if it's still in production. it was a complete shift tower.

it was expensive.

The funny thing, is that it's actually cheaper than the OE one; lol. You're correct though, you would need to find someone with one left over in their stock. They discontinued it for the XJ but still produce it for the Wranger. It's just a different bend in the bar is all.

Last edited:
You got it - just let me know.

The funny thing, is that it's actually cheaper than the OE one; lol. You're correct though, you would need to find someone with one left over in their stock. They discontinued it for the XJ but still produce it for the Wranger. It's just a different bend in the bar is all.

at the tie I looked into it the OE one was still available at a dealer, and was $100 cheaper.

now there's nothing, so you take what you can get, or you junkyard a dakota shifter and flame wrench it until it resembles the factory one.

Or you rock out with the shifter by the wheel rat fink style.

I have the Hurst shifter. It came with the new AX-15 I bought from Novak. I really like the shifter. Very short throw, no slop, no cracking knuckles into the dash.

I bought mine in 2011, so it's been a while. When I bought my AX-15, it came with the Hurst shifter by default. About 6 months later, it was an option with Novak, which dropped the price of the trans by about $200. I don't know what is happening now.

I will also mention that Novak inadvertently shipped me an AX-15 for a TJ instead of an XJ. So whether I have the shifter for a TJ as well, I don't know. But whichever one I have is very comfortable.

David Bricker / SYR

Hurst shifters for the AX-15 are still being made, just by a company called Core Shifters:

http://www.core-shifters.com/servlet/the-935/Core--fdsh--Hurst-shifter/Detail

a20791914985f939f417b4_m.JPG

Hmm, I am running the stock boot on my Hurst shifter, that fits the console. Now, having just said that, I realize the MJ may not have a console, so that point would be moot.

David Bricker / SYR

I have an extra AX-15 shifter also. Does not have the mounting plate or knob. I think it has a TJ handle which is bent a little differently than the XJ/MJ? I can sent pic. $30 plus the trip.

Anyone know a good replacement for the boot on the hurst shifter. Ill have mine out during a swap soon and it is cracked.

I JUST went through this after pulling my AX-15 down again for another 3-4 fork replacement. Both my floor board boot and the Hurst where completely shot. In fact, the Hurst actually ventilates through that location and so without it, it's like having an open hole over your trans. Mine took in over 2-qts in a water crossing b/c of that very boot. Anyone interested in that, you can find my thread on that HERE

I just ordered the replacement through Hurst/B&M - it's about $18 + shipping. You have to ask for a replacement for the Wrangler's since they still "produce" that one (it's the same shifter assembly with just a different bend). It's hopeless to ask them for a replacement for the XJ. They'll stand fast that it's "discontinued" :banghead:

D2E7F49F-C678-41EE-8ED2-10549B44D6D4_zpsgerdnwdu.jpg

Last edited:
I JUST went through this after pulling my AX-15 down again for another 3-4 fork replacement. Both my floor board

thanks for the link.

I suspect I broke the 3-4 fork in my "new" trans during installation, so that's gonna be handy this weekend.

my own dumb fault. I put the shifter in it and put it in 3rd so I could get the input splines to line up with the clutch.
Forgot about it, then dropped the trans down on the jack. Shifter caught on the body and I think the leverage broke 3-4. Works fin in 1-2 and 5-r, doesn't even attempt to engage 3-4. no noises, no feel in the stick, nothing.

Anyone know a good replacement for the boot on the hurst shifter. Ill have mine out during a swap soon and it is cracked.

thanks for the link.

I suspect I broke the 3-4 fork in my "new" trans during installation, so that's gonna be handy this weekend.

my own dumb fault. I put the shifter in it and put it in 3rd so I could get the input splines to line up with the clutch.
Forgot about it, then dropped the trans down on the jack. Shifter caught on the body and I think the leverage broke 3-4. Works fin in 1-2 and 5-r, doesn't even attempt to engage 3-4. no noises, no feel in the stick, nothing.

I wonder what you did there... I can't imagine it broke the fork - there isn't a lot of room for a piece to fall to the bottom of the case. Maybe you bent/broke the pivot linkage just below the shifter? I've been through my AX-15 three times now. Love it/hate it.

I don't know, and won't knw=ow until it's open.

luckily I've got the other one, it worked fine in 2-5, but someone had destroyed first.

so at the very least I've got enough hard parts here to make one good AX-15 this weekend. I'd really like it to be a shift fork since I can swap those easy, but if I have to I'll take the first gear cluster out of this one and put it in the other.

just salty about having to capture and keep the $50 worth of gear oil clean....

Back