• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone running a torque thrust 727 behind their 4.0?

The post title is incorrect. It says torque thrust. It should say torque flight.

I'm using tapatalk and I can't figure out how to edit it

Not trying to be a jerk, but why would you want to?

I'm only interested in this combo because I have a perfectly good one setting in my grand wagoneer. The 229 t case that is hooked to it is in great shape as well.

I had my amc 360 crap out on me and now I'm swapping in a 4.0 to replace it. Just trying to use what I have on hand.

I've already got a 94 4.0 and wagoneer motor mounts for the 4.2 that bolted right up to the 4.0 block. The bolt pattern for the bell housing is the same and my Jeep uses the same starter as xj's.

I'm about 85% there as far as parts collecting goes. Now I need to figure out what flex plate will marry the 4.0 to the 727

The torque converter I have is the stock one from the tf727 and I have 3 flex plates.
The 360 one
One of a 32re
And the one that was attached to my 94 4.0 unknown automatic transmission

What I meant was you need to determine what flexplate and what torque converter you need

Not asking which one you have.

Just reminding you some are counter wieghted for a specific engine

The 4.0 I'm running is from a 94 xj. It is internally balanced. I need a flex plate that is neutrally balanced, bolts to my 4.0 and bolts to the 727 torque converter.

I'm considering swapping the torque converter

Did a quick search and came up with this on Pirate:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-non-hardcore/1015678-tf-727-ho-4-0l-needs-help.html

Flexpplate for a 258 32RH/998/727 up to '86 will balance correctly for the 4.0l, if you don't need the tone wheel and want to run a old school Ford type starter. One from a 4.2l with a 32RH '87 to '90 or 4.0l '91-'95 (YJ, ZJ) will work with the stock 4.0l gear reduction type starter and the original 727 converter. The '91+ 4.0l flexplate will have the proper tone ring for the CPS, if you decide to go that way.

I've used that tread as a reference many times. I don't need a tone ring, but I do run the gear reduction starter.

I bought a 32re plate and tried to bolt it up. It fits in every aspect except for the bolt pattern on the TC

96 42re plate works. I just bolted it up today
d19d89809d9d7e17bd4e174ce9bc0eed.jpg

Back