• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ Windshield rubber trim removal question

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to remove the rubber trim/molding around the windshield on a 99 and re-install without replacing the windshield? I've determined that the puddle on the driver's side floor and increased wind noise at 40mph+ adds up to a leaking windshield.

I've seen a test where you spray soapy water around the edges then apply air from the inside, but this is assuming you don't have the rubber trim on it. I'd really like to try to seal it myself if possible. I'm not even sure if I can get a local place that will re-seal without replacing the windshield.

The glass can be re-installed. The 97-01 windshield trim is single use gasket. If the glass is removed, the gasket has to be replaced.

I know a lot of people here like to do work themselves, but this may be best for a windshield installer. Plus new windshields are nice - no pitting. And if it leaks after they are done, have them come back and do it again and again until its right.

I think whatever you try to do the problem is going to be that most of those leaks occur when there is poor sealing causing the metal flange to rust and lift the gasket and sealant further. You can try injecting new sealant in there, but the rust will continue to bloom and cause separation. Really the only solution for this is to take the windshield out and clean up the flange before it's too late and it's rusted away.

I have actually seen one of those rubber gaskets reused, but it's rare and depends a good deal on how well it was sealed to begin with.

Thanks for the replies! I called the shop and they said that they could "try" to fix it for about $30. They said they'd put sealant along the rubber and if it still leaks then they could try to remove the gasket and re-seal it. They guy said the windshields usually break and then it would be a nice chunk of cash. I read a lot of info talking about if you do try to seal it, not to use silicone, but to use urethane. Well, this is not a good time for this to happen I just dropped 172 on a broken tooth last week so I cant' take another ~200 hit at the moment. From the sounds of it, I most likely would have been buying a windshield.

On my way home from work, I decided to get a couple tubes of the permatex "high flow" silicone since a lot of people had luck with it ( http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8173...4695&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=permatex+high+flow ).

Before I ran out of daylight, I put a bunch between the rubber and body, then ran a bead across the entire roof. What took more time was lifting the carpet and trying to sop up all the water and dry it with a heat gun. I plan to cycle paper under the carpet until it dries up. I'll just have to wait for the next rain to see what happens. I'm not expecting it to have worked, but I really can't afford a windshield right now so I'll probably just keep sopping up water/trying to seal it with the other $5 tube I bought.

Edit: the other thing is...I KNOW it's rusted, but the shop isn't gonna sit there and sand and paint it. The only way IMO it could be done right is if I had another vehicle and could let this one sit in a garage (have them come and take it out one day, do the work and then they could put it back in another day). I don't have that privilege at the moment either.

Thanks for the replies! I called the shop and they said that they could "try" to fix it for about $30. They said they'd put sealant along the rubber and if it still leaks then they could try to remove the gasket and re-seal it. They guy said the windshields usually break and then it would be a nice chunk of cash. I read a lot of info talking about if you do try to seal it, not to use silicone, but to use urethane. Well, this is not a good time for this to happen I just dropped 172 on a broken tooth last week so I cant' take another ~200 hit at the moment. From the sounds of it, I most likely would have been buying a windshield.

On my way home from work, I decided to get a couple tubes of the permatex "high flow" silicone since a lot of people had luck with it ( http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8173...4695&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=permatex+high+flow ).

Before I ran out of daylight, I put a bunch between the rubber and body, then ran a bead across the entire roof. What took more time was lifting the carpet and trying to sop up all the water and dry it with a heat gun. I plan to cycle paper under the carpet until it dries up. I'll just have to wait for the next rain to see what happens. I'm not expecting it to have worked, but I really can't afford a windshield right now so I'll probably just keep sopping up water/trying to seal it with the other $5 tube I bought.

Edit: the other thing is...I KNOW it's rusted, but the shop isn't gonna sit there and sand and paint it. The only way IMO it could be done right is if I had another vehicle and could let this one sit in a garage (have them come and take it out one day, do the work and then they could put it back in another day). I don't have that privilege at the moment either.

Most Glass shops will not even install a windshield in a rusted frame anymore, too much liability for them if it pops loose.
I had water leaking into my 01 last year. Windshield place Pulled out the windshield & showed me the rusted frame, Refused to replace until rust was repaired.
No Biggie, I wire wheeled the rust (there was plenty of it!!) until I had clean metal, then I bent some steel patches to fit, I didn't want to start welding (I would have had to remove the entire headliner, etc.. to prevent a fire). So instead I JB welded/Stainless steel Pop riveted the Steel patches in place, Let it dry properly, primed everything with with POR rust encapsulation paint, Then chassis paint. Had the shop Glue in the New windshield. Its been over a year & it seems to be holding up fine.
Here is the thread that shows the rusted area, Sorry for not taking any after repair shots. Good Luck!
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1105367

Last edited:
Most Glass shops will not even install a windshield in a rusted frame anymore, too much liability for them if it pops loose.
I had water leaking into my 01 last year. Windshield place Pulled out the windshield & showed me the rusted frame, Refused to replace until rust was repaired.
No Biggie, I wire wheeled the rust (there was plenty of it!!) until I had clean metal, then I bent some steel patches to fit, I didn't want to start welding (I would have had to remove the entire headliner, etc.. to prevent a fire). So instead I JB welded/Stainless steel Pop riveted the Steel patches in place, Let it dry properly, primed everything with with POR rust encapsulation paint, Then chassis paint. Had the shop Glue in the New windshield. Its been over a year & it seems to be holding up fine.
Here is the thread that shows the rusted area, Sorry for not taking any after repair shots. Good Luck!
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1105367

Wow, that was pretty nasty looking! I can imagine mine may look the same! I guess I'll see what happens with what I did so far and go from there. I cut the carpet so I didn't have to pull the seat. I put a bunch of newsprint paper under it and will replace tomorrow. I'm thinking this won't get dealt with properly until spring.

Wow, that was pretty nasty looking! I can imagine mine may look the same! I guess I'll see what happens with what I did so far and go from there. I cut the carpet so I didn't have to pull the seat. I put a bunch of newsprint paper under it and will replace tomorrow. I'm thinking this won't get dealt with properly until spring.

The longer it sits the worse the rust gets & it travels fast! SO if you can, fix it FAST!
Funny thing, the Glass shop told me the rust was the fault of the last glass installer who installed the old windshield, They probably scraped the metal & did not properly re-prime it prior to installation,
Jerk forgot that He did the last windshield install!

The longer it sits the worse the rust gets & it travels fast! SO if you can, fix it FAST!
Funny thing, the Glass shop told me the rust was the fault of the last glass installer who installed the old windshield, They probably scraped the metal & did not properly re-prime it prior to installation,
Jerk forgot that He did the last windshield install!

LOL that's a good one! "the LAST glass installer".... that's what I was worried about too if they replaced it....just replacing it without addressing the rust. It's not like they're gonna sit there and sand it all down and do it the right way. I'd imagine that as long as they can put a bunch of sealant on to get the windshield to hold, they'd call it good. Yeah, I'll wait until I can borrow a car or have a few vacation days to use and try to get it straightened out then.

The glass can be re-installed. The 97-01 windshield trim is single use gasket. If the glass is removed, the gasket has to be replaced.

The rubber trim isn't a gasket, it's trim and it can be reglued back into place if removed carefully. it's not like the earlier years where the rubber surround on the windshield is what held it in, on the later years the glass is glued in.

Also my rig had water pooling on the passenger floor board, I assumed it was the heater box till I had the windshield replaced and no more leaks. I dont know about your area, but by my house I can get a new windshield installed in about 20 minutes for ~$75.

The rubber trim isn't a gasket, it's trim and it can be reglued back into place if removed carefully. it's not like the earlier years where the rubber surround on the windshield is what held it in, on the later years the glass is glued in.

Also my rig had water pooling on the passenger floor board, I assumed it was the heater box till I had the windshield replaced and no more leaks. I dont know about your area, but by my house I can get a new windshield installed in about 20 minutes for ~$75.

Thanks for the info on the trim! Yeah, where I'm at the guy said it would be $160 so that's about double. I've dealt with this shop before and they are about the best guys in the area.

Still holding my breath hoping that the silicon filled in the leaking gap. Haven't had any chance to check but it looks like rain on tuesday so we'll see what happens.

Back