• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front seat belt releases

packmule1911

NAXJA Forum User
My wife and kids are having trouble getting the front seat belts to release. They are tough. I'll deal with it myself, since I'm the one who want the Jeep and traded for it. But it's a bit unsafe if folks can get out of their restraints when they need to.

I'm assuming that replacing the release end is what I'll have to do. Thoughts?

Thanks.

No need to replace anything. I had the same problem last year. A drop or two of fresh engine oil (not WD-40) into the buckle assembly does the trick. Push the release button, drip the oil down inside, then click the belt in/out a few days times to make sure it releases properly.

Then open a cold Ale and tell the wife how hard you worked to fix the problem.

Splendid. Glad to hear this. They seemed beyond lubrication, but I will give it a shot.

It will have to be a Budweiser since I've got to pay for some Dana 30 bearing overhaul this week.

Thanks!

Worked great. I used some stuff I had around called Ballistol on the seat belt releases, and also the mechanism that releases the works to open the door. My daughter was having trouble pushing the button enough to get the door to open.

All is well.

Thanks!

same problem here, the factory greases them up when new, and the grease eventually dries up and gets sticky.

glad you got it worked out! :thumbup:

Another thing you can do to help those releases is to try to blow the dust out of them. If you can get compressed air down the hole, give it a snort. You might also be able to open up the plastic surround (varies with year, careful not to break anything) and then poke out the crud.

Back