• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Knuckle or Teraflex?

joester1908

NAXJA Forum User
I know, I know, another WJ swap thread...

I'm looking to upgrade the steering on my 1990 Comanche. I can't decided what I want to do. I have been looking at the Teraflex kit, along with the Rusty's, JCR, etc. I like the Teraflex OTK because it comes with the knuckle. But its quite a bit more than the regular OTK kits. I have come to the conclusion I don't want to run "cross over" style steering.

That's why I'm looking at either Teraflex or WJ.

I know that with the WJ knuckles, you can (have to?) swap WJ brakes. I am running 15 inch aluminum wheels. I really don't want to switch them out. I've also heard the back spacing on the WJ knuckle is different, so when you use an XJ hub you have to weld on a spacer? It seems like a lot of work.

As for the Teraflex kit, a friend of mine installed it on his TJ. I really like how it came out. He custom made a track bar, and said he will help me with the install. But is it true that the linkage they give with the steering kit is aluminum? I have read quite a few reviews on the steering, and I havent heard anything negative.

I guess my question is, am I on the right track? Is the Teraflex steering worth it? is the WJ knuckle swap worth it? What do you do to WJ steering to make it comparable to other "1 ton" steering setups? My goal with upgraded steering is worry free. No more worrying about bending it, no more slop in the steering wheel, no more worn out TREs.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks...

I'm not 100% sure of the change over, but the Teraflex knuckle was designed for later model 30/44 axles with integrated caliper mounts on the knuckle. If your Mj knuckle has a removable caliper mount you may have to source new brakes and hubs at least for the passenger side. For what the Teraflex knuckle costs you will probably be ahead swapping a full set of WJ knuckles and brakes.

WJ Knuckles.

The teraflex, WJ swap etc are a crossover setup. Is better than the Inverted T, like JCR.
The teraflex knuckle can be purchased by itself, and is plug n pray swap. Can be used with stock steering. If you go OTA with either the teraflax, WJ swap, etc you will need to use an OTA trackbar mount and either modified or custom trackbar.
Clayton has a full WJ setup if you wanted to go that route. But basically building quality components for your steering is key if you decide to make/have someone make it for you.

Also, said above. If you have the earlier 2-piece knuckles, you will need to source a later 1-piece knuckle for the driver side and new brakes, UB's etc.
So, in a way, the WJ swap may be a better route to go since you will probably need to buy all new parts anyways.

The WJ swap gives you *great* brakes. It will take a lot of spacer (like, probably 1.5" or 2") to make your 15" alloy wheels fit with them, though.
WJ steering parts are 24mm diameter - about 2mm larger diameter than Chevy 1 Ton stuff, though with a smaller stud. They put the things in a 4K Jeep rated to tow #7500. There are beefier ends but the WJ stuff is good.

I did the WJ swap in my garage. It wasn't that big a deal. If you wanted to go down that road, which I really recommend (Brakes!), you could get all the parts on hand and drill your rotors, weld your spacers etc ahead of time. Make it go a lot faster on the day you were doing it.

I am on the Wj brakes side as well.

It's a good set up and if you do it right you'll spend not much more than the teraflex kit AND you'll have better brakes. There are a billion build threads for the WJ setup as well.

But as others have said, you might have a hard time fitting those wheels...

Back