• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you run 15" wheels on a WJ knuckle and brake swap?

IdahoEagle

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to replace my XJ with a 98 ZJ 5.9 Limited with 4" of lift on 33s. I want to do the WJ swap and I'm hoping that I can still run with 15" wheels so I don't have to go 16" right away. The ZJ has brand new 33" KM2s on it... Does anyone know if I can still use 15" wheels on it with the WJ brakes?

Depends on the wheel and backspacing. I have 15x8 Mickey Thompson Sidebiters on my XJ with WJ brakes. I had to grind a little off the calipers and the wheels have a 3.625" backspacing.

Steel wheels are much thinner so should clear. May need a little grinding on the caliper, but I highly doubt it.

I know my 15" raceline (aluminum) wheels clear (3.25" backspace) with minimal grinding....

Did you do any caliper grinding Scott?

The Racelines are unique. Most 15" wheels won't fit without spacers. I believe WAZZUXJ is running spacers, correct? I had to run spacers to get my 16's to fit. Not that spacers are the end of the world or anything...

No spacers.

WJSteering_zpse3c9f8f5.jpg~320x480

Their not 'unique'

Its called back spacing.....

So wheels with greater backspacing (smaller number) should work then right? I've got 15" aluminum wheels that are in the neighborhood of 2.5" backspacing. Would that work?

I have the 99-02 brake calipers and with 3-5/8" backspacing I just made contact on the inside of the wheel. I could mount the wheel and turn it by hand, but it was definitly making contact and I could see exactly where. I can also only run the wheel weights to rows deep on the very inside of the wheel.

The other area to be concerned about interference is the tie rod TRE's. I am running the stock WJ TRE's OTK with my wheels and they just clear. From what I have read, 1 ton TRE's may contact 15" wheels. But again with enough backspacing you may be ok.

Last edited:
And there isn't any issues with wheel weights being too close or steering joints trying to hit the wheels or anything like that either?

I bead balance. No wheel weights.

I don't think it would be an issue with the steering joints though. They clear fairly well actually.

It's the caliper that is close. 1/8" clearance in a couple spots... maybe less.

From what I have read, 1 ton TRE's may contact 15" wheels. But again with enough backspacing you may be ok.

I'm running heim joints... not sure how much difference that makes...

Last edited:
My WJ calipers cleared my 15" steelies on 3.75" BS with minimal grinding of the caliper.

So what TRE's are you guys with 15's running? I'm running the offset ones, and two different 16" wheels with 3.75" back spacing were rubbing the TRE's. It appeared that a 15" wheel would have been the same or worse.

It must be the TREs then. Check this photo out. You may have seen it before, and let me restate that I am not and did not drive on it like this. It was still barely rubbing at this point.
93d71665af429a3241669b950f2f5b33.jpg

2318f298a9b857452668d7245ebc318d.jpg

I'm not tryin' to argue, there's just a lot of misinformation and gaps in what this swap really involves, and I wanted to share what I ran into. Also, with the offset TREs my tie rod just barely clears my ruff stuff diff cover. It also seems people are able to clear certain diff covers with certain set ups. I've got the ruff stuff DIY kit, it's 1.5" iirc.

Back