• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiper switch removal

MACH90XJ

NAXJA Forum User
1990 NO TILT COLUMN. I have it all tore down and can't get that shroud off. I have 2 rods, got the dimmer rod separated but the ignition switch rod won't let go of the shroud. Anyone done one of these before ?

Update for future reference.

My non tilt column shroud has to be removed in 1 piece off the column. All screws holding the 2 pieces of shroud are located on the bottom side. You have to remove the ignition switch down lower on the column to free the ignition rod. The other 2 rods can be removed without removing shroud. Once shroud is off you can remove the screws holding it together. Once you have it separated there is a nut that holds the multi function switch in place. Re assembly of the ignition rod is tough to line up the rack/gears that coincide with the keylock gear. Assemble this on the bench til you get it right with the key lock installed. Cause once you get it lined up right it wont fall out if you remove the key lock.

In conclusion, don't do it. Just go to wrecking yard and buy a tilt column with intermittent wiper switch already on it. Tilt column is more accessible with the easy to remove 2 piece shroud.

Now onto wiring it in, starting new thread.

reviving an older thread...

I'm in the middle of this now, and this is the closest thing to a guide to disassemble a non-tilt column that I can find on the interwebs.

to add:

!DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!

1. take off lower dash. I know you don't want to but do it

2. unplug wire connectors(all attached to column under dash);
2a. big flat on pass side is turn signals, big flat on drivers side is wipers,
2b. behind wipers is a square one for high beams (has metal rod running into it on column side),
2c. on top are 2 square plugs for the ignition switch. may need to drop column first

3. remove steering wheel and lock plate, horn, turn signal cam. (dont take apart turn signal cam)
link to how-to on a different gm column but the same http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/interior-electrical/56459/

4. take out all the screws holding the plastic housing on the column. I think there are 4, 5/16 head. the one on the top right is the lock cylinder. after that one is out put the keys in, turn to on and pull. it should drop out.

5. drop the column from the dash. you will have to unbolt the column from its little cradle as well.

6. THE RODS! you have three rods. everyone is jealous.

high beam rod : should just pull out when you remove the plastic surround

park-lock rod: has a little break point in the middle, metal ball in plastic socket. pop it out

ignition switch rod: fun stuff. you have to remove the ignition switch. there are 2 bolts, 5/16 head and one with a 3/8 keeper nut. these hold the ignition switch, park-lock cable keeper, and high beam switch to the column. you only need the ignition switch off but lucky you, it's on the bottom so they all get to come off.

to be continued

Back