• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33x10.50 tires?

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Hey guys,

I got some spare coin and am looking to buy a new set of tires for my old warhorse. I have the old-style RE 4.5 springs so pretty good clearance but the bulk of my usage is foul-weather winter-beater, with limited off-road, so primarily was looking at 33x10.50 tall and narrows with a mild tread pattern. But all I can find in 33x10.50xR15 are BFG KO2 and KM2, both seem to be of universal regard that they suck in rain and ice. I cant find any 32xAnything, so plan B is 31x10.5xR15 which is alright but I would really rather have something taller for more clearance.

Maybe get the 33s siped by the tire shop?

Anybody know any 31x10.50 that are taller than average?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

I've driven 4 years on snow and ice, just don't drive like a retard and you'll be fine. I run 33x10.5's. Siping would help but it's really not that bad. As for rain, I've never had a single issue in rain.

I had BFG KO2's (235s) and now have General Grabber AT2 (31s). The latter are very similar to the former. Both are very good in packed snow/ice and in rain. They are both well sipped.

I would suggest the duratrac over the mtr for someone who doesn't wheel much but drives most of their miles in the rig in bad weather. The duratracs are much better snow/ice tires than the mtrs. I have mtrs and they work fine, but the duratracs put them to shame for most on road conditions.

toyo does their open country mt in a 33x10.5, great tire...smooth, quiet, and wears well for an mt.
and not really all that aggressive, imo.

I picked up at set of TJ Moab wheels that I am currently on the search for tires.
I've been looking in the 265/75R16 and some 285's The 265 is basically 10.5 wide and approx 32.5 +/- depending on tire. 285 is about 11 but closer to 33" I have use a tire cal, but do not remember those numbers exactly. It is unfortunately how small the 33x10.5R15 selection is.
I have been doing a decent amount of searching. I have always really liked the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo tire as an all terrain. The 693/695 are almost as good.
Recently I have heard really good things about the Cooper Disc AT3. A lot of the vineyard/other field type companies have been running them. They seem to be on the lower end of the price spectrum in comparison to others. Have also had success with the Dayton Timberline AT and the Firestone Destination AT.
The Grabber AT2, IMO are much better than the BFG KO. Similar in pattern yes, but the lugs are at a better angle. This should tell you something considering the new KO2 are designed practically like them.

I've thought about running Duratrac's and I may, another alternative and lower price is the very similar Kelly Safari TSR. Also made by good year, pattern is a little different and do not have Kevlar, like the Duratrac, MTR-k and the newer Adventurer.

17" seems to actually be the most common size these days. Ended up buying some cheap Cragar 17s and a set of Cooper Discoverer A/T3 which have very good winter rating. Going all the way to 17s should be good, since its pretty common truck tire as well as being the new standard for jeeps.

Thanks for the info, helped me think about it

Looks like Goodyear has 32x11.50 MT/R, its wider than I want to run, but I did want to correct that I could find 32xSomething -- http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tire/search/32_11.5_15

There are a *lot* of choices for 33x10.50x16 ... might be worth getting some cheap 16 rims and then getting a good AT/AW tread that I actually want

KJ steel wheels fit ;)
they're 16x7. I gave $50 for a complete set with center caps recently.

the Hankook ATM RF-10s will be in those metric sizes. i've got 245/75s on the wife's 01. They are phenomenal in the snow. Quiet and handle well on the highway.

Last edited:
I have 265-75-16 duratracs and they are great on road in bad weather. Much better then the 30" BFG AT's I had before. Also they have around 25k on them now and have over half the tread left. Probably 60+ percent left. I did get a wheel weight through one of the sidewalls destroying one of them though. If only the duratracs had the kevlar sidewalls.

Back