• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there a ps pump upgrade to go with Durango gearbox?

jhc7399

NAXJA Forum User
Did the Durango gearbox upgrade a few months ago and get some drag/strain when I am sitting still, smooth when I am driving though. Someone told me there is a ps pump upgrade to go with the Durango gearbox upgrade, anyone know anything about it?

If you would like to change the pump AND are not looking to buy something new, I think the WJ pump is one of the most popular upgrades. Search that and weed through the info, as there is a ton of it. A smaller pulley on your current pump or a new one would also help with that.

I never would have said this 5 years ago, but it is something I have grown to believe...if the XJ box is insufficient, just look toward the end game. If you need more umph to move your tires around, bite the bullet and do hydro assist. It is awesome. And it saves you the time and money of going up step by step. I do not know your situation or goals for your Jeep, so maybe the bigger box is all you need and will ever need...But if you "might" do a locked front end with 35s and up on rocks, this is something you should look into now. All the bigger better pumps and boxes are still putting all the load on the box and frame, while assist takes a lot of load off of that mount and the track bar (frame pushing tie rod versus axle housing pushing tie rod = big difference in track bar stress). My frame had reinforcement plates on both sides of the rail where the box mounts and it still cracked. It happens. That was on 35s with a selectable locker in the front.

Anyway...WJ steering pump is the popular answer. :cheers:

I am running an XJ box, XJ "high output" pump, smaller 4.5" pulley, and ram assist on my daily driver and I absolutely love it.

Back