• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need parts advice

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
I've decided to go ahead and install a remote start and unlock thingy on the old 96 XJ. All I'm concerned about is remote start, lock and unlocking so the simplest of systems would do fine. 2-way preferred though. Anyone who knows these things better than I have a suggestion as to what would do the job for me? The Viper 2-way LED looks ok although I've heard complaints about shoddy customer service and overly sensitive buttons on their fobs.

Other piece I need a suggestion for is for new door lock actuators. No experience at all replacing these so I'm all ears as to a good OE replacement part.

The remote start on my current pickup came with poor quality key fobs. The buttons would press in my pocket, and the fobs wore out completely after a couple years. It was a gift, and a less expensive model. Find one with key fobs that flip open, or use factory style recessed buttons.

Whatever you do, spend your money on quality components. Cheap remote starters can cause all manner of no-start problems that can even sometimes leave inexperienced professional mechanics scratching their heads trying to diagnose. My first truck had a remote starter installed by local small town yokels at a stereo shop when the previous owner had it. It didn't work by the time it got to me, so I paid no attention to it. After a couple years of ownership the truck had a spontaneous no-start which I and friends and co-workers couldn't figure out. I drove my junky old Mercury Topaz for weeks until I described my problem and what I had tried to an elderly, semi-retired mechanic. He listened carefully, pondered silently, and then asked about the remote starter. Sure enough, after digging through the rats nest of wiring left by the unqualified installers, I was able to disconnect the remote starter and get my truck running.

Installation should be done by a shop with a good reputation, or at home. Don't bother with the cheap places, most of them hire high-school kids with no skill or experience who will butcher the hell out of your wiring and run live wires to nowhere. :soapbox: Sorry, rant over.
Sean

I have an older Viper remote start with paging. I installed it myself back in 2001. I have only had to replace the remote once. Other than that it has been great. I have no problems with the fob being overly sensitive. You won't get good support from Viper yourself as they primary deal with installers and don't like the self installers. If you aren't installing it yourself find a good shop to do the job. Make sure they don't use those 3M scotch lock splices as they do nothing but cause problems in the long run.

I've made something of a cottage industry tearing alarms and remote starts out of all variety of vehicles. I totally understand why they are made, and what they are good for. However in the name of "security" many shops do really bad jobs of covering up where things are installed that results in problems down the line. Avoid stereo shops, I don't know how they are in KY, but the ones I've been to in CA and WA were enough to get me to swear off ever doing any business there (I was just looking for replacement LED modules).

My suggestion, look for someone who does auto-electrical, these people are usually no BS and will do it right.

As for the window actuators, usually these don't wear out, but the window mechanism gets full of dirt and slows down and eventually burns out the actuators. If it's still working you havn't burned out the actuators yet. Which means it's time to open the door, and clean and re-grease the mechanism.

Usually what I do is flush the tracks with a light machine oil (think of this as a solvent) to clean as much crap out. And then re-apply grease.

I use NAPA door lock actuators in my F150, and they fit and function well. I can't speak to their longevity, as I usually replace them every time someone forces my door lock open and breaks the actuator in an attempt to rob my empty truck, but the current one is going on 8 months.

Back