• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange starting issue 2000 xj dies at idle (sometimes)

alwayzAMC

NAXJA Forum User
hey everyone, still having trouble with my mother's XJ. will try to explain as best as i can on what is happening, as i am confused.

i have been chasing this problem for a month now and am readyy to pull my hair out.

vehicle is a 2000 4.0 with around 215k

a couple weeks ago she tried to start her jeep and it wouldnt run at idle, or would run at a very low idle. i messed around a bit and found a corroded positive battery terminal, i cleaned it all up put it all back together and jeep ran perfect. 2 days later, same issue. i followed the positive cable to the fuse block on the firewall, found it corroded as well, cleaned that terminal, ran fine for 3 days, same problem.

the alternator on the vehicle i replaced a couple years ago, found i accidently put it in my scrap barrel, it had been underwater for months and was rusted all to hell, hit it with an impact and it had worked since, so figured i better replace that as it was a bit noisy, cleaned all the grounds on the engine block, new battery, new alternator. same thing, runs perfect for a day or two, then craps out. but finally an engine code. new O2 sensor, and again, ran perfect for a couple days. i erased the adaptive memory and again ran great, then day later craps out. last night i just took off battery cable for 5-10 minutes replaced and it ran fine.

a few more hints, have a remote started on it, during one of the times i "fixed it" it was running in the driveway, and conked out and wouldnt start without using the gas pedal.

i have a new crankshaft sensor as well as a new camshaft sensor sitting in the parts house at the chrysler dealer down the road, i am about to try those next. but without a MIL i just feel i am throwing parts at the problem, although they probably should be replaced at any rate.

i have all but pulled the pin on the grenade at this point, any other spots i should look into?

thanks for any input

RD

Try the IAC. At closed throttle the IAC lets metered air past the closed throttle plates to allow the vehicle to run. If the passage is dirty or the IAC motor is not working correctly it cannot get enough air to run without you being on the throttle. Start with cleaning the throttle body and see if that helps at all.

sorry you reminded me i had already tried that, swapped it from my 99 and had same problem, however i did find that my 99 didnt have the 0-ring that comes with it, may have inadvertantly found the annoying skip i see in mine. will try a thorough cleaning, have spark plugs ordered as well.

Back