• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE nylon speedo gear stuck to mainshaft

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All,

I was trying to disassemble my transfer case to inspect the bearings and chain. I have a Advance Adapters SYE. The blue nylon speedo gear on the mainshaft is stuck to the mainshaft and won't budge. It almost seems like I'll have to cut it off. Has anyone seen this before and know how to safely remove the gear? I plan on calling Advance Adapter tomorrow for their thoughts.

Thanks!

Egad, I've the same SYE and when it was time to replace the chain I recall the gear sliding forward. I may have coated the inside with ATF before installing it. Cutting it out, I'll stay tuned. Good thanks-day.

Yep! I'm guessing it got hot and melted into the splines.

After more thought a gear puller may work. I think this is a SYE install gone wrong.

The rear output nut wasn't really tight either. And where the rear output bearing rides, the shaft was shiny. This may be where my metal sheen in the fluid was coming from.

That and a hum is why I was taking it apart in the first place.

OK, I talked to Tom. He thought gear puller or chisel. I lightly tapped it with a cold chisel and it split open and I was able to slide it off. The splines were not melted. I am still unsure about the shiny surface where the bearing rides. It still seems to be tight, but based on past experience with P.O.'s over tightening tapered wheel bearings, the only real fix to vibration was replace the spindle and bearing and setting the preload right. In that case, I took the hubs off to inspect and after 50,000 miles it looked new and of course vibes never came back. This isn't a tapered bearing though. The yolk nut holds the yolk tight against the bearing shoulder. Somewhat apples and oranges in application but still has me wondering if I should just get another shaft/bearing.

Back