• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Disscussion: MTR, MTZ or Claw

saybye

NAXJA Forum User
Ive ran red labels, treps, but IMO other beats a good old fashions TSL for the type of riding we do in the in mountain of Tennessee.

Im about to start a smaller build on an MJ, keeping it streetable for the spare of the moment Friday night wheeling trips. I have a set of the old style MTR's years ago but haven't seen many opinions on the new style. Ive also seen a lot of guys are running the Claws and MTZ.

So out of these 3 which should I go with? How do they hook up and which one "digs" the best?

If I can come across a set of 35x12.5x15 TSL's Ill go with that but finding a good used set is hard to do :(

i have 35x12.5 new style MTRs on my MJ and absolutely love them. i had BFG mud terrains before that. night and day difference.

It's hard to beat the new MTR.
With it's tough sidewall and good street manners, unless you do allot of mud
cant imagine a better all around tire.

+1 for MTR-k
Ride nice on road, great off-road. I have about 35k on my set of MTR-k's and the lowest tread is at 10/32.

+1 (or 4) on MTR Kevlars.

There are 5 rigs of close friends that I wheel with and 4 out of 5 have Kevlars. The last one has KM2s. Other than having to air down a touch more than other tires to get more sidewall flex, they are an awesome tire. Very comfortable, great road manners, and quiet!

All depends on the type of terrain, right?
Based on this link, (mud tire shootout in their magazine 'circa 2011), I went with the DynaPros for my type of mud, and roads.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/154-1203-the-hot-sheet-33-off-road-tires-tested/ YOU WILL HAVE TO PLAY AROUND and find each tire to evaluate. (They used to have it all like how it is found in their magazine, but no longer it seems).
I think they are street quiet, and work great in Tundra Mud. No way would I use them on Icy roads, or in deep snow though. Maybe studded would work, and deflated somewhat. They are non-siped, but could be customized I suppose.

The next batch are for whatever it's worth.., lots I suppose. (I am not in the market).
2012 Review: http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/wheels-tires/154-1203-the-hot-sheet-33-off-road-tires-tested/

Another possible helpful link: http://www.offroaders.com/cheap-tricks/mud-tire-reviews-information-knowledge-base/

I've enjoyed my MTR-Ks and MTZs. MTRs have a tougher sidewall and I know they wore a lot slower than my MTZs are. MTZs are a softer tread which is what I blame the faster wear on. Should still be able to get 40k out of them though I'm sure. I have noticed the MTRs run closer to claimed size than a lot of other tires. My 32" MTRs looked no smaller than my 33" MTZs, never measured though. Not sure how much it matters in TN but the MTZs do perform a lot better on winter roads.

I loved my Baja Claws but they were very loud on the road and you could feel tread slap at less than 10mph. I run the MTR-K's now and found them a better compromise for use in NorCal. Now that I'm in Washington where its always sloppy, and I have a daily driver, I'm thinking of going with something more aggressive.

In my experience the BFG's are easier to tear and I won't run them.

...Never thought i'd hear/read that!

In my opinion they were excellent in the rocks, excellent in the mud, bad in off-camber snow situations (made worse with a fulltime locker), and not fantastic on the street. Sidewalls seemed very strong, they aired down well, and they hooked up very well when off-roading. I would absolutely consider them again now that I don't daily drive it.

Back