• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Minor Brake_Hose/Line mod

Alaskan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Greets, HISTORY: RENIX '89 XJ, JKS front sway bar disconnect(s), and rear sway bar removed for a 2" OME lift, and need to replace all brake hoses.

NASTY WEATHER where my XJ is parked normally, so am not going to droop all four corners to find out what I might be more easily accomplished here at NAXJA. My installation of lift seems to have given my brake hoses some flex abuse due to my likely incorrect measurements at the time, and I have no idea as to their present lengths. On the front, I did not bend, or straightened out the front brake line, nor relocated them. No matter, the hoses are too short all away around, and need to be replaced with hoses that cannot be stretched to their limits as they are now.

Just what are the correct lengths I should order from NAPA, etc., as per the correct types from Jeep, and/or CHerokee model types, or others, i.e., Dodge, Chevy, ford, etc., and years? I am not concerned as to the cost. I am concerned though; as to proper fitting of connection(s), and in order to ease installation time crawling around in Alaskan snow covered mud, wet, and frozen puddles, high winds driving rain, sleet, and snow, etc., lol.

Seems Wrangler hoses for the front, and YJ hoses for the rear are correct.., is that so? If so, what years are best for the '89 in order to allow both sway-bar-disconnected axles to flex to the max without compromising the hoses.., but not so long as to be hung up, and caught on tundra brush/ground debris, stumps, branches, rocks, etc, and for when the front JKS disconnects are reconnected?

I've spent too many hours googling, and in trying to find "inch", and "type" answers on the NAXJA search system.., sheesh! I'd rather find out from 'ya all, and then call NAPA, and have them order the proper hoses which will take a week, or two to arrive. (Have had incorrect parts arrive, and the turn-a-round evolves into a month, or more).

Anyone have a proper short list?

Happy Thanksgiving, and
Thanks

YJ (which is a wrangler)brake lines in front, dakota brake line for the rear.

Right, thanks for the correct front to rear model types to upgrade to.

Proper years to cross over, or just call NAPA, and say, I need two front Wrangler, and two rear Dakota rear brake hoses, and call the order good-to-go?

Johnnie, you are always on the 'spot', lol, but that darned bug in you Signature zone, drives me crazy thinking I've got a nat, or some sort of insect crawling around on my screen. You did that on purpose.., to mess with us, right?

Dakota first generation rear center brake hose--'87-'96, second generation--'97-'04, third generation--'05-'11? Which will be of proper fit? My best guess is first gen. to be compatible with the ''89 XJ. Such Dakota center rear hose is 22.125", over XJ OEM 14.5". Seems a bit long in the tooth for a 2" lift sans rear sway bar. Something better?

YJ rear hose will bolt right up and is about 3" longer then the stock XJ rear hose.

You will need 2 front lines and a single rear line, as the rears are split at the axle. After a few minutes of research, I guess that the YJ rear brake lines are longer than theXJ, so in theory you should be fine at your lift height. So, YJ was 87-95? So just order a set of 2 fronts and 1 rear line.
There is a place called Techna-fit, based out of Torrance, CA have REALLY inexpensive sets of custom SS brake lines. I believe only about 30$+ ship for a full set. So, you can tell them whatever length you want.
I have not dealt with them personally, and pretty sure they have a website. I think Mark aka sidewaysstarion has dealt with them.
I have a RC SS rear line that is a decent length, haven't had any issues.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.., guess I'll go with 3 YJs, Need 'em quick time, so I'm going with NAPA. chinese crap might just have to do for now since I'm down to the wire for replacement. Sheesh! Looked at Rockauto, and Raybestos seemed to be fair, and their lengths were mentioned unlike most of their other offerings. Hate it when that do'dat.., leave out full details.., like the freak'in lengths.., like duh.

How's a guy to figure out that mess. Spent too much time looking around on the net, so I am very thankful for 'ya all. Happy Thanksgiving, (I get to work, so no snooze turkey carrion to masticate for me, lol). Drive Safe!

Back