• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear doors won't open, 97 w/ manual locks

flazz85

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

First, thanks for taking a look at the thread, second rear doors won't open, I believe the child lock feature is at fault just wondering if anyone has a write up where I can fix this, I'm guessing I'm going to have to take the door panels off and do it from the inside. No luck from the outside, manual locks as well. Any help will be appreciated thanks for the help!

Alright so looking through the archives I've come up with...

-remove inner door panels
-check push/pull rods
-clean all suspect parts with some lubricant

-anyone have anything else? Also anything in there's that's super fragile and hard to replace? Like some random plastic piece? Door pins are whatever. Aside from what was said, anyone know of any diagrams I can look at? It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for looking

No diagrams needed, one operating rod connects to the inner handle and the other rod connects to the lock knob. The operating rod locking tabs on the door panel need to be handled with care. Most often the grease and dirt have hardened and the mechanism needs to be cleaned and lubed.

Funny that this pops up, my '98 with power locks is having the same issue on the right rear door, sometimes it won't open, sometimes it won't latch when closing. May have to pull that panel.when the weather gets better and see if the fix would be the same.

My rear hatch ended up being rusted together. pulled panel from inside sprayed wd40 all around the latch. then had a buddy hold the button down as i gave it a kick from the inside.

Back