• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tilt steering wheel play 87

GregGA

87 Laredo Galloping Ghost
A couple of times when I get in the Jeep(87 XJ) I grab the steering wheel, and it drops, or pulls down a "notch". It also has about a 1/4 inch of vertical play. Is there an easy way to fix this? Based on a fast internet search, it looks like it takes 3 sets of tools I don't have:). This is probably something I have to live with?

IIRC, it requires tightening bolts in the column.

the only somewhat special tool is a steering wheel puller. its a relatively easy but tedious job. just search for a method. its a GM column

A couple of times when I get in the Jeep(87 XJ) I grab the steering wheel, and it drops, or pulls down a "notch". It also has about a 1/4 inch of vertical play. Is there an easy way to fix this? Based on a fast internet search, it looks like it takes 3 sets of tools I don't have:). This is probably something I have to live with?

Here ya go:

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27192

Buy, make, or rent the special tools. The job goes faster, and there is much less swearing and throwing of tools.

Back