• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Picking the right Jeep

Para32

NAXJA Forum User
Some say the Slec Trac system in the Grand is not so hot. It sounds like an AWD And part time 4WD system to me, but I guess I dont know the specific differences between various AWD systems

Years back I had a ford Explorer with AWD (not 4WD like 96% of them had) and ABS and nice tires (after the firestone recall) The thing was great on road in slippery driving, but
it got cross-axled once in a dirt driveway up in Maine when one wheel fell in a gully and the diagonally opposite wheel got lifted in the air
ie, one wheel on BOTH axles was up in the air
From what little I know, I dont thgink part or full time 4WD or AWD would have worked in this situation
I think the only thing that would have worked is a diff locker where I could have gotten one of the non-spinning wheels to drive, correct?

I want some cheap winter transportation that is capable
by capable I mean I can drive in AWD on the street AND use it in an off road situation
Cheapest solution seems like a low miles Grand with 6 cyl, ABS and install a diff locker (hopefully that does not cost too much)

Comments?

First off this is NAXJA or North American XJ Association with forums geared toward the XJ or Cherokee not the Grand Cherokee, two different animals. Second off if you want AWD like performance find a vehicle with the 242 transfer case with part time, full time, and lo operation.

You will want the 242. Great on road and part time for off road. The 249 (AWD& low) in the 93-98 ZJ (grand) is just a POS. The 247 in the 99-04 WJ(grand again) is much better but still has its own issues.

i agree the Selec-Trac 242 is what you will want. and for the less-than 1% of the time you get 2 wheels in the air just have someone pull you out.
although alot of people have done it, it isnt recommended to run a locker if you will be using the full-time mode. unless it is selectable and you can shut it off when not needed. however a limited slip was available with the 242 so that might be a good option for you.
the 242 was available in the ZJ Grand Cherokee as well as the XJ, but in smaller numbers. look for a Limited edition, that was a popular combination.

Back